Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
560SL
I cranked the starter motor with the coil to distributor wire missing. Now with the wire in place, the car won't start. No spark at all. Wire tests good.
The manual (now he reads it!!) warns "to avoid damage to ignition system ......do not operate ignition system at starting speed unless the ignition components are completely connected" I think they mean damage to the electronic control module, which as best I can tell from the wiring diagram, feeds the coil.
Say it ain't so that an easy mistake can trash a $2000 part. Is there some reset capability somewhere? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
When no load is disipated from coil (spark) some of the energy may come back to EZL but I seriously doubt that in your case EZL is damaged, provided you did not krank the hell out of it without load.
There have to be some kind of protection against feed back, at least I hope so.

I'd check power feed to all the devices and look for other failing components first.
Why did you crank it without HV feed anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
560SL
I cranked the starter motor with the coil to distributor wire missing. Now with the wire in place, the car won't start. No spark at all. Wire tests good.
The manual (now he reads it!!) warns "to avoid damage to ignition system ......do not operate ignition system at starting speed unless the ignition components are completely connected" I think they mean damage to the electronic control module, which as best I can tell from the wiring diagram, feeds the coil.
Say it ain't so that an easy mistake can trash a $2000 part. Is there some reset capability somewhere? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
4 words. Find an honest mechanic.
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Djenka018 said:
When no load is disipated from coil (spark) some of the energy may come back to EZL but I seriously doubt that in your case EZL is damaged, provided you did not krank the hell out of it without load.
There have to be some kind of protection against feed back, at least I hope so.

I'd check power feed to all the devices and look for other failing components first.
Why did you crank it without HV feed anyway?
I did crank it quite a bit. I was doing a compression test.
 

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
dugald said:
I'd rather DIM, with a little help from my efriends. (apologies to the Beatles)
... Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar ... "He is as queer as a clockwork orange" meant he was queer to the limit of ...

--Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
page62 said:
... Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar ... "He is as queer as a clockwork orange" meant he was queer to the limit of ...

--Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
I can't type, I'm laughing so hard!
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may have guessed by now that I am challenged by electrical things.....:confused:
When the ignition switch is on, there is 12v on the coil primary but no ouput at the high voltage end when cranking. I figure either a dud EZL isn't collapsing the primary or the coil itself is dud.
Agree or disagree? Any ideas how to test which is the problem?
 

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
The neg side goes to the dist. Take a jumper and ground the neg side of the coil and when you remove the jumper wire, the coil should fire. You will need to have the coil wire (the high voltage one) coming from the coil close to a frame/engine ground to see if there is a spark. That will test the coil.
 

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
Don't worry, if you've fried the EZL, Crane sells a Fireball box that replaces it...for a little more than USD$100...

Oh, and with friends like us...you have friends!!! :D
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
page62 said:
Don't worry, if you've fried the EZL, Crane sells a Fireball box that replaces it...for a little more than USD$100...

Oh, and with friends like us...you have friends!!! :D
please tell me more about the Crane Fireball
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
You may have guessed by now that I am challenged by electrical things.....:confused:
That's why I suggested the 4 words. 'The only thing more expensive than a good mechanic, is a bad mechanic' is true. If you don't bother to read the manual, you can and/or will cost yourself more in the long run.
Happy motoring.
 

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
dugald said:
please tell me more about the Crane Fireball
This might work: CraneCams

But I'd contact Crane Cams...and explain your car doesn't require emissions testing. What they can advertise online and what will actually work are 2 different things, due to federal regulations.
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BenzToy said:
That's why I suggested the 4 words. 'The only thing more expensive than a good mechanic, is a bad mechanic' is true. If you don't bother to read the manual, you can and/or will cost yourself more in the long run.
Happy motoring.
I spend plenty on mechanics for my other cars. In fact, $1800 on the Honda just today. The Mercedes I bought as a hobby DIY, or rather DIMyself, project so taking it to a pro kind of defeats the purpose. As Henry Ford put it, I am Learning by Doing.
More accurately, Learning by Doing It Wrong in this case....
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
page62 said:
This might work: CraneCams

But I'd contact Crane Cams...and explain your car doesn't require emissions testing. What they can advertise online and what will actually work are 2 different things, due to federal regulations.

I'll try, but I can't imagine they have a plug and play replacement for the MB unit, which has quite a few specific inputs from various engine points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
I spend plenty on mechanics for my other cars. In fact, $1800 on the Honda just today. The Mercedes I bought as a hobby DIY, or rather DIMyself, project so taking it to a pro kind of defeats the purpose. As Henry Ford put it, I am Learning by Doing.
More accurately, Learning by Doing It Wrong in this case....
All I'm trying to say is, if you are going to do it yourself, at least use the info. available (manuals, forums, etc.) before you cost yourself a great deal more than you have to.
I enjoy working on the benz almost as much as I like driving it.
And I don't even have to get the sawzall out most of the time.
Happy motoring.
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BenzToy said:
All I'm trying to say is, if you are going to do it yourself, at least use the info. available (manuals, forums, etc.) before you cost yourself a great deal more than you have to.
I enjoy working on the benz almost as much as I like driving it.
And I don't even have to get the sawzall out most of the time.
Happy motoring.
Stupidity has its price alright.;)
 

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
Damn

All this over a coil to dizzy lead.:confused:

I've been removing mine and cranking the engine to get some oil pressure up for the timing chain tensioner on the 420SEL. :(

Before I replaced the chain and tensioner it stopped that scary chain rattle sound you never want to hear.:eek::thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, it doesn't seem sensible. You'd think the design would be a bit more fool-tolerant.
I guess you have been luckier than I. Quit now.
Sad to say my coil tests good. Indicates dud ignition control unit, I suppose.
Anyone got any other ideas?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top