Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Northern California. Just bought a used 2004 E320. This is what I know:

1) It has an HK audio system, and an LCD panel. I do not believe this is the "premium" audio, but perhaps it is an upgraded audio system from the base model.
2) It has an in-dash 6 cd changer as well as a single cd player
3) I have an auxilary port in the glove compartment.
4) I do not appear to have navigation system, although I beleive the car is pre-wired and Nav appears as one of the buttons on the LCD panel.

I am trying to figure:
a) What is the COmmand system I keep hearing about and do I have it?
b) I have read discussions about people making mp3 Cds and playing them with their e series audio. What exactly do I need to do that? In other words what is the exact mp3 format and converter I need to use.
c) On Ebay I've seen navigation CDs being sold for my model. The CDs are regional (ie CA and NV, Canada, etc). Will these CD work on my system even if I do not have the Nav system installed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
All US 2004+ W211s have a factory fitted US spec comand head unit in dash, DVD based. This is NOT the actual navigation system - only a part of it. In order to be able to use navigation, you would need an additional nav.drive to be installed in your trunk.

As far as MP3 is concerned... your head unit will NOT be able to play MP3s, as far as I know. If you want to be able to play MP3s, you can either connect an MP3 player to your AUX, or swap your current unit for a Euro spec comand head unit...

Forget about the nav.DVD. If you don't have a nav.drive in the trunk - and don't intend to purchase / install one either - it won't be of any use to you.

Here is a link with some W211 comand info:
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w211comands.shtml

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
He could also install an MP3 version of the CD stacker in place of the non-MP3 stacker.

I do know that its a lot easier getting the NAV upgrade with Parktronic and UHI pre-installed cars from factory. These already have a trunk lining and bracket ready to accept this function.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
yoyoyojo - 2/14/2005 2:26 PM

b) I have read discussions about people making mp3 Cds and playing them with their e series audio. What exactly do I need to do that? In other words what is the exact mp3 format and converter I need to use.
I would try using iTunes - its free and makes reasonable MP3 CD's.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
yoyoyojo - 2/14/2005 11:26 AM

I'm in Northern California. Just bought a used 2004 E320. This is what I know:

1) It has an HK audio system, and an LCD panel. I do not believe this is the "premium" audio, but perhaps it is an upgraded audio system from the base model.
2) It has an in-dash 6 cd changer as well as a single cd player
3) I have an auxilary port in the glove compartment.
4) I do not appear to have navigation system, although I beleive the car is pre-wired and Nav appears as one of the buttons on the LCD panel.

I am trying to figure:
a) What is the COmmand system I keep hearing about and do I have it?
c) On Ebay I've seen navigation CDs being sold for my model. The CDs are regional (ie CA and NV, Canada, etc). Will these CD work on my system even if I do not have the Nav system installed?
I am pretty sure that if you have an HK system, then you have the premium audio. The sure way to tell is to check inthe sound settings and see if one of the available choices is "LOGIC 7". This is only available if you have the premium sound system.

I wouldn't be certain that you cant play MP3 CD's either. I have heard that some of the late model year production 2004's can play MP3 CD's in the single slot CD player (my guess is because it is the same hardware used in the early 2005 cars). Check your COMAND user manual and see if it describes this function. My 2005 manual has detailed info on it, including the format to burn your discs.

The way to make an MP3 disc is just to use whatever CD Burner program that you have to create a data-disc and copy the MP3 files that you want onto that disc, just the same way as you would do it if you were going to transfer them to another computer or back them up on the CD. I made an MP3 disc that worked perfectly in my car by this method using SONIC RecordNOW and I didn't change any of the standard settings on the software. There are a bunch of threads on this site from late 2004 that cover this topic in detail. In particular, the user named "Spartan" is really knowledgeable on the subject and posted some good info.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts