Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Northern California. Just bought a used 2004 E320. This is what I know:

1) It has an HK audio system, and an LCD panel. I do not believe this is the "premium" audio, but perhaps it is an upgraded audio system from the base model.
2) It has an in-dash 6 cd changer as well as a single cd player
3) I have an auxilary port in the glove compartment.
4) I do not appear to have navigation system, although I beleive the car is pre-wired and Nav appears as one of the buttons on the LCD panel.

I am trying to figure:
a) What is the COmmand system I keep hearing about and do I have it?
b) I have read discussions about people making mp3 Cds and playing them with their e series audio. What exactly do I need to do that? In other words what is the exact mp3 format and converter I need to use.
c) On Ebay I've seen navigation CDs being sold for my model. The CDs are regional (ie CA and NV, Canada, etc). Will these CD work on my system even if I do not have the Nav system installed?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
I am not really familiar with you car, but I do know the answers to a couple of your question.

a) Unlike the older COMAND where the navigation was integrated into the COMAND unit, navigation is a separate item on your car. I don't know if it can be added.

c) Those navigation disks are for the old cd-rom based COMAND. They would not work in you car even it had navigation. The new navigation system uses dvd-roms.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
a. Yes you have a COMAND head unit.
b. I dont think it's standard on the 04. You will need an update CD to update your COMAND firmware to play mp3.
c. No. You will need a DVD based navigation system installed in trunk. It is available from mbenznl.com or mbdoctor.com.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts