Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just opened up my trunk yesterday and found out that the whole trunk wheel weel was filled with water. The battery was wet and and the side trunk liner were all soaked. It has been rainy hard the last few days and i'm not sure if this could be the case of the problem (i higly doubt it)....has anyone had similar experiences or know what would be the case and how to rectify this situation since it could be dangerous if my battery were soaked in water....

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,378 Posts
It is impossible to guess the solution from afar..... you just have to be a detective here. What I would do is this.

1. Check the seals around the trunk lid.
2. Get all the carpet up and empty the trunk of everything including the spare wheel. Mop up all the water and dry out the car.
3. Check for any corrosion holes. where rain water could enter the trunk.
4. Check the exterior drain path around the trunk lid with it open. Those gulleys can fill with muck/leaves from the rear window area.

Finally if everything else is OK..

5. Flip both rear seats to the horizontal position. Close the trunk lid and climb into the car with a torch and get someone to spray the rear of the car with a garden hose while you inspect the trunk area for any leaking water from inside the car.
6. You may have to remove further interior trim if the water shows from behind there. eg rear lights, number plate areas. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
It is impossible to guess the solution from afar..... you just have to be a detective here. What I would do is this.

4. Check the exterior drain path around the trunk lid with it open. Those gulleys can fill with muck/leaves from the rear window area.

Finally if everything else is OK..

5. Flip both rear seats to the horizontal position. Close the trunk lid and climb into the car with a torch and get someone to spray the rear of the car with a garden hose while you inspect the trunk area for any leaking water from inside the car.
6. You may have to remove further interior trim if the water shows from behind there. eg rear lights, number plate areas. :thumbsup:
key stole my thunder, but is spot on. the i30 before my wife's clk did the same. has this car been rear-ended before? rear body re-work? that is usually the best indicator of leak failure. otherwise, a rubber seal is worn or your drain guides are malfunctioning. although I recommend inspecting these as primary suspects 1st. your tail lights or plate bulbs would hold moisture droplets on the inside if it/was one of them. also inspect trim of the rear glass. & remove the spare tire deck plate cover + carpet until it is found--they will mildew and rot & cause more $ pain, but your coin your car. bottom line--don't put a damn thing in the boot until you get this solved. you won't like what comes back out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts