Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W210 E300 turbo diesel 1999, few times came Minimum Oil Level warning on dashboard, so i think next time when i change motor oil and filter i'll change the oil level sensor at the same time, Work done but same problem continues "Minimum Oil Level warning", so i check the oil level again from the dipstick and it's MAX. I made a test, put engine running at idle, waiting about minute (engine still at idle) and the same message comes again, i let the engine running and check the oil level from the dipstick, guess what ? Yes, it shows that the oil level was in MIN while the engine running at idle. So, the oil level sensor was right. Question: is there a block in some oil returning channel or why/where it "hides" that oil. I know there is some amount oil circulating in the engine while it runs, but it should'nt be that much ? Between MIN and MAX the oil capacity is about 1,5-2 litres. The amount of oil when changing it is 7,5 litres.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
From several MB I owned about 75% had the sensor oversensitive. I had to keep oil level at 80-100% or the annoying warning would come out.
Beside the sensor the system is having electronic timer that will prevent the warning to come on sharp left turn, when the sensor is having no oil for few seconds.
If you have the oil at Max before morning start up and the warning comes on parked car, that would indeed indicate bad sensor, but double check it before putting money and time on it. My friend drives with bad sensor for 3 years as she got a humongous quote for replacement on gas engine.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
The sensor on inline engines is hold by 2 small bolts and has 1 wire, but you need to drain oil for taking it off, even if you don't have the belly pans like I do.
Suppose to get to it on V6 320 engine you need to drop oil pan, what makes it quite big job.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
I think your first idea about replacing the oil level sensor was correct.
I have a picture of what I think your talking about in my lower control arm thread. Either 3rd or 4th page. I actually asked the same question on that thread so why hit two birds with one stone.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Kajtek1 about the overly sensitive nature of these sensors. For a while, mine said REDUCE OIL LEVEL when it was just on MAX on the dipstick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts