Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Any advice for my '99 e430? I'm putting on close to 30K a year, thus my priorities...I see Michelin's on sale lately and wonder if tire prices will rise like oil prices soon.

Anyone have a set of Michelin Hydroedges? Are they loud?

Anyone have a set of any Michelin's and get 50K + miles out of them? If so, which ones and what do you think otherwise?

Can anyone tell me the difference in rating between a 91H and 93H? We have Goodyear Triple Treads on another car and love them, but they are only rated at 91H and a W210 requires a 93H. Thanks in advance for the education!

Does anyone recommend another brand that fits my priorities?

Any advice welcome - Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to your question. Actually, I wish that there were data available that is both subjective for ride quality and reliable. It's hard to get both, especially from individuals who change their tires when they need changing.

If you put the same tire on it, it will ride better on the new rubber, so just because the car rides better with a particular new tire doesn't mean that it is really a better ride. As for noise, that may be easier for people to judge.

I haven't run the Hydroedge tires, so I have no idea how well they do. Of course, it's a respected brand and not a cheap one.

I'm also in the market for tires this summer, but my priorities are #1 comfort, #2 traction (but just barely behind #1) and a distant #3 is tread life. I don't really care if I only get 25K out of a set. Of course, if the most comfortable tires have decent traction and long life, I'm not going to turn that down.

You might want to look in this forum for information as well:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/discount-tire-direct-tire-wheel-brake-suspension/

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Michelin

pilot a/s for a good balance all around.Quiet,hug the road,last a long time.
Ratings of tires in a subjective manner can be found on tirerack.com
rating system.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
w210 1999 E320 black
54 Posts
i also need to buy tires for my 99 e320 and i was looking about the dunlop direzza and the pirely also .

the michelin in cr are too expensive and not that good may be because the roads are really bad or you get a hole in the highway some times .

any suggestions

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference in rating between a 91H and 93H?
The 91 & 93 refers to the weight rating for the tire. The higher the number, the more weight the tire can support.
The exact weights for the ratings can be found on most tire company websites. You can go higher without a problem. but it is best just to stick to the rating recommended for your car.

·
Registered
1999 E430
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying Michelin Primacy's. Pilot a/s were my first choice, but no one had my size in stock. I had a leaking tire and no time... The Primacy's are quiet and comfortable, which works for my long commutes, but not particularly sporty. If I didn't have the leak I would have ordered the Pilot's and waited a week.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The local Goodyear store sold me some Comfort Treads for my E430 that were only 91H and I didn't know any better until someone on this forum told me. I got less than 20,000 miles out of the ContiProContacts on the E320 and the MB parts guy recommended BF Goodrich Traction T/A which I bought. I went to Tirerack (ditto to ohlord here) and compared those two. The only areas where the Contis were rated higher were ride comfort and ride noise. Both tires are 93H, and I can feel a definite difference in ride quality. The next set will probably be some type of Michelin.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,467 Posts
I've been perfectly happy with OEM MIchelins Energy MXV with 60000 thread warranty.
We don't drive single car a lot, so I didn't buy new tires for long time, but Costco not only have good prices, best deal on installation package, but also $80 discount.
In some location wait time is long, but you can drop the car in the morning and pick it up afternoon.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Bridgestone Turanzas are the best. I've tried Michelins, Contis, Avons and none beat the price, the quiet and the smoothness of the ride hands down.
Michelins are overpriced.
The Turanzas give the best in good handling and a very nice ride. First recommended by Luke at TireRack. I tried his other suggestions first but the Bridgestones are a keeper.

·
Registered
1999 E430
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 years and almost 60K miles later, I'll soon be in the market for tires again. What are your current Rec's for E Class Tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 E320 2011 E350c
158 Posts
I'm curious myself as to the nitrogen filled tires and those that claim to save several tens of gallons in fuel annually. That might be a possibility.

Assurance ComforTred Touring | Goodyear Tires

I have these Goodyear Assurance tires on now. I couldn't pass on the deal at my Sam's Club. $500 and some change for mounting, balancing, and roadside assistance for the life of the tires.

Nice, quiet, and handles good in all seasons.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,650 Posts
I'm running Michelin Primacy's now, and they'reva great highway tire. Huge difference to the short-lived Eagle GTs, which stuck like glue but were gone in 20.

·
Registered
W210 E320CDI Estate '01, 722.6; W124 200D '91
6 Posts
I bought ContiSport3 before couple of months. Good choice:
I would rate them as: #1 - Comfort; #2 Performance #3 Durability

·
Registered
2005 E320cdi WDBUF26J05A641824
12 Posts
I have a set of Yokohama AVID ENVigor. And I love them. Nice and quiet on the highway, very good grip in wet or dry weather. I bought them last May and put 20K since then, not even 1/4 of tread is worn. I don't use them in winter though as I have a set of snow tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts