Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hit the front of my Mercedes C230 on a curb while leaving my parking spot. I was going pretty slow but I heard a scrapping sound as soon I hit the curb. I got out to see the damage and in the dark it just looked like there were some scratches on the front bumper. So I start driving and every time I hit a bump I hear a scrapping sound as if something is hitting the floor. I stopped on the side and i can see something partially hanging down under my car (see pix). Also some sort of liquid is leaking near the front driver-side wheel. I'm guessing the liquid was the washer fluid it was pretty clear and thin? Does anyone know what the part hanging off is (possibly a skid plate?) and if i'm wrong about the liquid? I've attached pictures of the part hanging below the car:

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 C230
129 Posts
The thing hanging under your car is part of the air dam system. It is plastic so never was intended to serve as a skid plate. The one you dislodged has (had?) an access cover that could be unscrewed to get to the windshield cleaning fluid tank. There is also a little "sump" in that area where (I think) either A/C condensate or the windshield drains can collect.

At one time I had fluid coming fromthat location but it was from overfilling the windshield wiper reserviour. You should be able to tell if it is water (condensate), wiper fluid ('soapy" water), or coolant (sweet-tasting, slick, brightly colored, and brain-damaging) -- which is unlikely based on your description -- fairly easily

I've scratched up the front of my car too... it happens. On my wife's Honda she ran over a parking lot bumper and tore loose the air dams like you did. It cost a hundred bucks or so to get them replaced. Don't know what MBZ price might be for similar, though.

·
Registered
2006 C230
129 Posts
p.s. the shield on your car may be more easily repaired than on my wife's. She tore it off to the point of destroying the bolt holes. Had I replaced it instead of the dealer I would have added a fender washer under the bolt, but they opted to recommend replacement... and I wasn't there to propose an alternative.

·
Registered
2003 C230k
13 Posts
also called, an air guide, ferring, easy fix, plus when you repair. Re-make your grommets with metal so its stronger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts