Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

On Saturday I bought Carsoft 7.4 MB with both 38 pin and ODB II cables, Diagnostic interface and some other cables. All brand new in a neat carry case.

I paid about $75 for it from Gumtree :)

Installed it without any issues on an old Compaq Armada E500 P3 laptop. Interface seems to be working.

Unfortunately I'm a newbie when it comes to car diagnostics, and have basic mechanical knowledge. So I have quite afew questions and any help would be much appreciated. I am very eager to learn more about running diagnostics / service adjustments to my S320.

Firstly, what CRUCIAL tips / warnings could some of the more experienced guys inform me about?

I see its possible to erase ESG momory, ME memory, if I do such things would it damage my vehicle computers / modules? I believe theyare transmisson and engine modules respectively?

Also I keep getting the ABS light on after driving a kilometer or two, so I would like to cancle that light if possible. I would like to learn how to use software properly and to be able to run diagnosis on other benz's ( 1988 - 2003 models)

On the W140, where is ODB II port located? I heard its under the dash somewhere but where? Do I have to strip anything to get to it? I've been reading up on Carsoft 7.4 MB and from what I understood it can also read live ME data.

My reverse gear does not work at all, would it be able to tell me what's wrong?

Does anyone have a user manual? One that explains in. How and what each function of the software does. (not installation / crack guide)

another point was that detailed info could not be displayed on the screen about errors, it has to be printed out. Could anybody clarify this?

I also read somewhere on Benzworld forum that if you erase ESG and ME error memories, it will even make a positive diference to the engine and the way the vehicle drives. Is this true?

Please share any info / advice / experience that you have had with Carsoft 7.4 for Mercedes Benz on the W140 in particular.

So far I only tried it once on sunday just to make sure it works, and it seems to comunicate with the vehicles computer modules. I hope after further knowledge my next attempt will prove more fruitful.. Stil got that ABS light coming on :(

Regards

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It would be interesting to get a flash code reader and an OBDII reader and then compare the results with what you get with Carsoft. There have been several reports of Carsoft struggling with pre-96 models. The OBDII port would be over near the footbrake pedal - but are you sure a 1994 South Africa car has one? It was less than fully compliant on a 94 U.S. model.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,608 Posts
I was talking by telephone with direct seller of carsoft. he told me that the only acceptable version is 8. all other versions are pirate versions and do not work correctly. the price with tester is ca 500 EUR here.

your car is OBD I (one) and not OBD II (two).

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for everyones feedback.

From my initial tests, it does talk to certain modules as it dianosed them as "OK"

I'm still going to try the ODB I tests, maybe it will give me more useful information. My laptop battery doesn't work, so I will have to install it on another laptop and try the live diagnostics during a test drive.

Would it be dangerous to erase the ESG and ME error memory? Would it benefit the car to do that? Will it erase the "ABS" light that keeps coming on?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
feedback anyone?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
you can clear the codes, won't hurt anything.

Sadly, I think you'll find the carsoft program very limited in it's functionality w/ regards to your S...

I tried a similar setup some years ago, used it for about a day and gave it..

Your ABS light, does the ABS kick in @ low speed, or is the light simply on all the time??

Jonathan

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can clear the codes, won't hurt anything.

Sadly, I think you'll find the carsoft program very limited in it's functionality w/ regards to your S...

I tried a similar setup some years ago, used it for about a day and gave it..

Your ABS light, does the ABS kick in @ low speed, or is the light simply on all the time??

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan..

When I start the car, its not there. But as soon as I begin to drive, the ABS light goes on within the first few minutes, sometimes even first few meters. My brakes still feel solid.

BUT.. after driving around for a few hours, sometimes I press the brake pedal and it goes all the way to the floor with only 10% braking power. I would pump it so I can stop the vehicle. Whats strange is when I continue driving regardless, It usually goes away and my braking power is completely restored for the rest of my drive. Any chance you might know what causes that?

Also I had a "Star" short dianostic done by an independent mechanic. He said my front speed sensor needed to be replaced. does this have anything to do with my ABS issues?

I will give the Carsoft 7.4 software more of chance, once I also do some tests through the ODB I port. I want to clear all ESG and ME error memory, heard it removes the engines "sluggishness"

All info and feedback is trully appreciated..

Regards

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Sounds like your ABS is kicking in prematurely. Which typically points to wheel speed sensros, and if you had codes for them it could be most probable.

I will say though, the sensors have a habit of getting VERY dirty/contaminated.. You would do well to pull them out, give them a good cleaning (spray off the trigger wheel through the sensor hole while you are @ it w/ a good, chlorinated brake clean) and see if that fixes things.

If not, you'll likely need sensors.

Do you have the Star service DVD? That will give you Ohm readings for the sensors as well.

Jonathan

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like your ABS is kicking in prematurely. Which typically points to wheel speed sensros, and if you had codes for them it could be most probable.

I will say though, the sensors have a habit of getting VERY dirty/contaminated.. You would do well to pull them out, give them a good cleaning (spray off the trigger wheel through the sensor hole while you are @ it w/ a good, chlorinated brake clean) and see if that fixes things.

If not, you'll likely need sensors.

Do you have the Star service DVD? That will give you Ohm readings for the sensors as well.

Jonathan
Thank you for the very useful information.. I don't mean to sound dumb, but I'm a first time benz owner an I'm not sure where the speed sensor is exactly located.

I assume the wheels have to removed. Might aswel change the brake pads and skim the discs (they have abit of a lip on the outer rim)

Unfortunately I don't have star, I only have Carsoft 7.4 with all cables and interface. If anyone has a "Test" copy they could send me, I would gladly try get it working with the Carsoft MB interface..

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
no worries!

Yes, the wheels need to come off, they read a trigger wheel off the hub. If you dig around online you can see what the new part looks like, that will help you locate it.

Star DVD is just the factory service disk, totally different from SDS;-)

If you like, I have them available and do ship abroad..let me know!

Best,
Jonathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts