Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Magma Red SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Slk230 today I used automatic car wash for the first time with under carriage and angled front sprayer. Car drove for 3 blocks then lost power from 35 mph slowed down and sputtered from 0 back to 35 and then drove home fine 1 1/2 miles. Felt like blocked fuel line but with injectors seemed clear. After getting home while in park it wouldn't rev past 3500 rpm and between it and 4000 sounded like it was blocked and wanted to back fire. In park it would not rev past 4000. Thought possibly something got wet so left it for 3 hours and it drives fine if punching it and getting on interstate it will Redline all the way to 6000 then shift. Seems fine but when I got in park again it wouldn't rev past 4000 again and between 3-4000 starts to get sluggish and sound like something is blocked. Enguine light is not on and doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I replaced 1 fuel injector in Feburary and MAF, Oxygen Sensor, Coils all where ok when had first cylinder misfire that got them testing everything else before found bad injector. Any thoughts or ideas?

Should I be worried or just run some type of injector cleaner through it or get an octane booster? Been using same gas for past 4 months of ownership
Without any fuel problem. In my Lincoln I would sometimes get 105 octane gas to freshen it up always put 94-97 octane in Slk just not for sure what to do. Course called dealership but got voice mail and no return call crazy since they know I pay their prices but they forget who they work for.........

Any assistance would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I never did like those automatic undercarriage washes...seems kind of stupid to be spraying cold water up and all over a hot engine block...

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Electronic rev limiter operates in Park at 4000rpm - designed that way.
I never ever put my SLK through an auto car wash. Only hand washing for my baby.
Put some injector cleaner in the fuel.
I also use the highest octane fuel I can get - called 98 here put the measures are different than in the USA.

·
Registered
1999 Magma Red SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both correct dealership said first issue of lagging was probably due to the under carriage wash getting something wet. The rev limiter was interesting because the MB Service Consultant sat in my car and experienced the hesitation while in park and called a mechanic in the shop to come out to the car but when he depressed the accelerator and was talking on the phone to him the mechanic said it was the limiter. The Service Consultant didn't know about it makes me feel real confident.

He did say MB does not recommend washing the enguine and that the dealership details all cars by hand because the power washer could get a sensor wet. I will hand wash from here on out.

101 octane not 105 as I thought earlier $7.39 a gallonnothimg like a little everclear to clean the pipes out.

I appreciate all the expertise, experience and advice this community gives me I just wish other local Slk owners were as friendly when I see them on the road.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 - Magma Red
91 Posts
Service writer should not attempt to diagnois your concern on the service drive. He/she is not, rarely, a certified technician--they are there to get the best possible information to provide to the a qualified technician to ensure the most correct and cost effective concern resolution for all concerned.

Many times there is no actual problem--just a concern as in the case of your rev limiter. If the service writer diagnosised the rev limiter normal operation and low and behhold it was an actual problem that resulted in a major engine failure-were is the trust factor? A proper write up, turned over to a certified tech, properly checked out and diagnosised and you would not have the trust issue.

I never expect the admittenance desk attendant at the emergency room desk to diagnois my concern-just get me to correct corpsmam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts