Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 190d non turbo 8 valve, four cyclinder engine and gearbox from a freind, for my off road project. im having trouble identifying exactly which engine it is.
so i need to know is it a 2.2, 2.5?
which year?
and the correct engine number.
the engine number on the block is not recognised by the uk mercedes dealers computer for some reason.
here are the numbers on the block: 601 011 1401, 04L, 88, AB - 2.
any help on this would greatly be appreciated. the engine itself runs fine, fitting it is also not a problem. it was sat around with my freinds brother for years and they cannot remember what it came out of. ive tried the internet and main dealers but no joy.
here are some pictures.
at the bottom is what it is going into, my suzuki samurai.
thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
engine id, serial number should be just to the left of the fuel filter, on a flat surface facing upward, where the valve cover makes the turn towards the fuel filter. the number on the side of the block is the block part number

"It is stamped onto the block on the same surface as the headgasket but further out near the fuel filter and above the injection pump sprocket.
might have to do some cleaning."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
numbers found

ok, scraping away the paint, i found some numbers on the block, behind the vacuum pump next to the injection pump and fuel filter, on a small flat surface pointing up. how ive missed this i do not know. had to remove the fuel lines from the filter to see it. so we have two numbers. 601 940 and 00 90 78. the first number according to the web seems to refer to a 2.3d 208 van. if anyone can confirm this. the second number i cant find any info on yet.
thanks all for replying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok, scraping away the paint, i found some numbers on the block, behind the vacuum pump next to the injection pump and fuel filter, on a small flat surface pointing up. how ive missed this i do not know. had to remove the fuel lines from the filter to see it. so we have two numbers. 601 940 and 00 90 78. the first number according to the web seems to refer to a 2.3d 208 van. if anyone can confirm this. the second number i cant find any info on yet.
thanks all for replying.
Hi, please,Write me win number car after the engine is

·
Registered
312 Posts
As far as I know, the 190D 2.2 was only ever sold in North America, presumably the extra displacement was there to move the extra weight of the North American-spec W201 body. I note you mentioned the UK MB database and I'm assuming you're from the UK? (Edit - I just looked at the photos of your car and the surrounding houses and it's pretty obvious you're from the UK!)

If so, unless by some very strange set of circumstances someone has reimported back a 2.2 engine into Europe from the USA, yours will be a 2.0.

190D 2.0s sold in enormous numbers (452,000!) and were in production throughout the 190 series' model run. Common as muck! Whereas just over 10,000 190D 2.2s were built early in the life of the 190 series before that model was superseded in August 1985 by the 190D 2.5 (which has a 5 cylinder motor).

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Didn't they use the OM601 engine for vito vans in europe?

There were 2.0, 2.2, and 2.3 variations of the engine. Only the 2.0 and 2.2 were used in W201's.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,542 Posts
601.900 - 2.0
601.911 - 2.0 - 190 D
601.912 - 2.0 - 200 D
601.913 - 2.0 - C 200 DIESEL
601.921 (USA-version) - 2.2 - 190 D 2.2
601.940 - 2.3 - 208/308
601.941 - 2.3 - 508
601.942 - 2.3 - Vito
601.943 - 2.3 - Sprinter
601.970 (TURBO) - 2.3 - V-class/Vito

·
Registered
760 Posts
2.2 for USA emissions

As far as I know, the 190D 2.2 was only ever sold in North America, presumably the extra displacement was there to move the extra weight of the North American-spec W201 body.
Actually, the extra 0.2 liters was to meet USA emissions regulations, and allowed no difference in HP or torque compared to the 2.0 :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think were finally getting somewhere with this. re-checked numbers again today on the same highlighted spot in Dr. Sternschnuppe picture, thanks Dr. Sternschnuppe. i missed a couple of middle numbers, which now reads 601 940 20 009078. So i phoned the UK MB today (i am in the uk), they have provided me with a vin number which is 60236720950189, and told me it was from a 308d, but that was all the info they could give me. so from origionally thinking it was a 190d,which is very similiar. it seems i have a 2.3d 4 cylinder from either 208d or 308d, still yet to be confirmed. if this is so, i would like to know the year, horsepower and torque. either of these engines will do for my off roader either way. just be nice to know what im running. by the way the engine is now mounted and running, not driveable yet though. sounds like a good engine when warmed up. had to make my own engine mounts, propshaft, gear linkage, new tunnel. am working on the clutch cylinder and brakes next if anybody was interested. mite get some pics up soon. thanks to replies and in advance for further replies.

·
9,038 Posts
That is going to be a sweet off-road truck when its done! A few years back, a friend of mine purchased a Suzuki Samurai and spent thousands getting it to how he wanted. Lots of fun going over mounds and tracks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
they have provided me with a vin number which is 60236720950189, and told me it was from a 308d, but that was all the info they could give me. so from origionally thinking it was a 190d
So we've now established that your engine isn't from a 190D. The trouble with providing extra advice in this W201/190 forum is you're asking 190 drivers in the hope that some of them may know about these van-based variants of the 601 engine, and those who perhaps do know the answer aren't visiting this particular forum because they drive a van not a 190! (apart from Dr. Sternschnuppe of course!)

It might be an idea to post your query in the Benzworld "W901-905 Sprinter" forum (Wikipedia suggests that the 208d/308d were replaced by the Sprinter and the 2.3 601 engine carried over into the Sprinter) so your expert knowledge is more likely going to be found there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! I am having the same problem :) I'm the recent owner of a Mercedes Benz 207D that had a motor transplant in the past and the previous owner didn't know from which model it came from.

Today, while cleaning some oil from the motor I found the small plate with the SN that I was so looking for, right under a small oil spill.

This is what I found on the SN plate, along with other series of numbers and letters. I added a picture of the SN plate.

601 070 2201 ER 6010

On the bottom side of the engine, I found another series: 14M 90 6010111401 - I added a photo of this as well.

Can anybody decode this engine SN for me? I would really need some help on this to get some new parts and all I know so far is the engine model - OM601 - I would need to know the capacity and maybe manufacturing year if necessary. I found some SN decoding instructions on the web, but I just can't manage to do it properly.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realized that I still didn't look for the series behind the vacuum pump - where Michael found his. Seems like the second group of numbers defines the engine's "sub-model" (601.911, .912, .913, .940 ...etc). On a "wiki" website I found listed all the OM601 models and their capacity, which will solve at least this problem...but leaving the year, power, rotations, weight unknown.

My question is: Knowing only the engine name and capacity, and not having the other characteristics from above, will I be able to order parts for it and match?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts