Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the first one, but there is like "D" shaped head on the top of the shock and unless that is held, the shock turns. Is there a special tool to hold this or what size open wrench?

Thanks!

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
ise adjustable wrench on the D shaped thing or a plumbers wremch.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Adjustable works just fine. I Just put shocks on all four corners of my car. When you get to the front use an allen wrench and a box end wrench and you should be able to get the top nut off no problem.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Sorry for the newbie questions but I have never owned a Benz and it has been over 10yrs since I owned a car which required any sort of work from me.

I figured it out an used an adjustable and worked like a charm. It drove beautifully on the test drive after installation. I have the fronts to do now, but will need to wait a week since I forgot to order mount (they are all cracked on top), new bumps, and boots. I hate putting anything old back on the car, especially rubber.

The shocks looked like they were the originals put on the car (maybe not), leaking and nasty. See pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Yeah those probably were the originals. The rears on mine had been changed to old school KYB's and the fronts were still original. They were in surprisingly good working order though. One of the rears was completely blown, made any sort of tight corner or off angle bump a bit scary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts