Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm at the Wendy's drive thru getting a frosty. I pull away from the window with my delicious dairy dessert when my 85 300D will not drive. It will no longer go into gear. The stick moves freely, but the transmission will not engage. I can, however, go in reverse. I had not noticed any problems driving the car, other than it shifting a little hard in the cold. Any thoughts on this? Do I now own a 2000 pound paperweight? Please help....

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Check for the tranmission shifter bushing. It might have been bad and just went kaput. You have to raise the car, and check it from there. It's a white plastic piece that connects the shifter linkages.

edit: If you have jacks lift the front end up. Look underneath the transmission area, it's on the driverside. There'll be some bulkhead covering your view, but it's right there, and a bit to the rear from the visible opening. Reach in around 6 to 9 inches into it.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
sack,
how many miles on the engine/tranny?
tranny fluid how old? assume it is full on the dipstick.
as the others said check vacuum lines.
hope it's not the cursed b-2 piston...

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
sackofbs - 3/7/2005 1:21 AM

203,000, on the engine/tran. Fluid is 5000 miles old. Is there a way to tell if it is the B2?

go to mbz dot org and check under transmission articles b2 piston repair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts