Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D , 1982 300SD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. im new here, so dont get mad at me if im posting in the wrong place, or am not using the correct language...please bear with me..

I just bought a 1984 300D (smile), its a sedan and has about 245,000 miles on it. The previous owner claims that this problem just arose, it has been garaged and he claimed nothing fell on it (there is no evidence that would suggest otherwise)

THE PROBLEM...the electric sunroof opens fine but when it closes the rear passenger corner does not pop back into place like its supposed to. there is maybe a 1/2 inch gap just in the area of that corner.....even if i try and give it a little help by hand...it just wont close all the way!!! any help or suggestions would be awesome!!

lawrence

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
mine did not come up in eather side but when i opened and closed it about ten times it fixed it self. mine had sit for 3 years .try this also try lubing it.

·
Registered
1984 300D , 1982 300SD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was hoping that it would be as easy as just lubing it, but wouldnt i be able to force it the last little but if it was just a question of needing a "lube-job"

also. there is water in my rear passenger foot-well.....from what i have read it is either coming from the windshield or the sunroof....how can i check if the sunroof is draining properly?

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
puor water in the suround with the roof open and see if it drains.mine did not have a fuse in it when i bought the car never lubed it the first 20 times resl slow now fast as can be with no lube

·
Registered
1984 300 CD
29 Posts
sunroof problem

I also have a similar problem with the sunroof on my 1984 300 CD. It also started off by hanging down on the rear driver's side, but could still open and close. Now it does not open at all and seems to be permanently jammed. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a simple way to fix it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
To lube the electric sunroof well, you have to take it out. Check the plastic gliders and - most important - clean and lube the flex-cable that drives the roof. You need a special grease (awfully expensive), wich becomes not stiff when it gets cold. If you don't want to buy it, take oil for guns (do you know ballistol?).
Have fun!
M

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
My sunroof just did this exact same thing yesterday. I pounded lightly on that corner with my fist and it came up on it's own, signifying that it needs to be lubed up.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I figured out that my sunroof problems were being caused by rust flakes getting stuck in the sunroof mechanism and casing it to stick. There's a bar that runs laterally across the sunroof and another that moves forward when the rear pops up, I have rust flakes stuck between these two bars. Not to say everybody who has this problem has rust flakes in their sunroof, but if this happens to anybody else these bars need to be accessed, cleaned, and lubed to fully correct the problem. If it happens and you can't get your sunroof to fully close, just push up and forward on this bar while holding the switch; you'll feel what I'm talking about as the sunroof closes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts