Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so I searched and prepped and searched, but couldn't find a 1997 E420 window regulator DYI repair guide. Figured it couldn't be that hard after reading all the ones for the back windows.....but I was wrong. Don't worry I will do a full DYI guide for the front after I get my mom's car back together lol.

OK, so I took the door panel off and found out there is no "cable" connecting the window regulator to the window. Instead it is a big gear with teeth connected to the motor. After some inspection I see that the lever that connects the toothed gear to the window (3 spot welds) broke off and is just hanging there. Drilling out the 6 rivits is no problem, but I have run into 2 problems.

1) A piece fell out of the door, it is blue and connected to a white piece that looks like it goes into the window track. Not sure where this piece came from but looks to be some sort of window stop??? it was from the section of the door near the door lock (picture below)

2) How the heck do you detach the window regulator from the window? It looks to have a star screw holding it in place once the white slider goes in from the end?? :confused: Has anyone actually taken out a front window on a 1996 E-420 or like before? Seems the bolt with the red is actually holding the window regulator to the window track itself?

Two more pictures, one of the broken arm and the new replacment one. Any help would be great as I'm heading to home depot to get the star tool and will be back. Thanks is advance!!!!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
My advice, stop trying to repair the regulator, you pull and replace the whole regulator instead. The regulator "repair" stickies are somewhat misleading, since regulators can fail in several different ways, and like your situation will take more time and agravation to reapir the regulator than to simply replace it.

The blue thing was the piece running on the cable, your cable is shot, and the regulator is thrashed, you should pull the whole thing which is drilling out (3) rivets with a 7/32 drill bit, releasing the locking piece at the bottom, and pulling in out. You can prop the window in closed postion for now.

The non-OEM aftermarket regulator is available on eBay for at/under $40, and will work fine. It's sounds German made, but it's not, but the OE German failed anyway:

Mercedes Window Regulator 96 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 W210 - eBay (item 280571189080 end time Dec-04-10 00:14:03 PST)

My confusion here is if you have a '96 (don't think so) or a correct '97, and what window you are working on.

No matter

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
pull the panel from the other door and see how it goes together.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys, got everything back together and now knowing how it was suppose to go makes it super easy. I will put the pictures together and do a write up.

The front windows dont have cables, but instead 3 small "spot welds" broke. Maybe this isn't an issue on most cars and my mom just shuts her door super hard lol. Either way, all fixed. 6 rivits in total, no problem and it went back together pretty easy after figuring out the blue thing as mentioned was the guide for the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

You don't, by chance, still have the pictures for this? I have a 96 E300D and am in the process of replacing my drivers door regulator as well. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1997 E420
347 Posts
This is an old thread but this is indeed how the front window regulators go out. Seems to be pretty common place for the failure if the front regulators do to -- though it seems like this are much better built than the rear regulators. I did encounter some difficulty in the same way as the OP when trying to do mine. Wish I could remember how I got through it but seems like that bolt was just REALLY tight and took some force to break free.

briandownunda -- if you search here and on google there are certainly DIY instructions with photos of the process either on this forum or others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts