Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 1996 E420, and for the past couple of weeks I've been hearing a strange friction like noise coming from the front:

It started after I changed the following (V-Belt, engine air filter, spark plugs and their adapters, gear bushings, differential seals, and the tie rod end ball joints)
The sound comes only when the car is stationery and when the gear is at D or R, and gets louder when I turn the steering wheel left or right, disappears when the car moves.
It comes only when the engine temperature is between 60-80 degrees celsius, once it reaches 80 (ie when the fan starts working) the noise disappears.
It sounds like something hitting metal or stretching, dunno can't fully describe it.

I took the car to the dealer and they changed the V-Belt (again after 2 weeks), V-Belt tensioner, and fan clutch, but the sound is still there,

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any idea where this could be coming from, as I don't wanna be stranded in the middle of the road like what happened when the alternator stopped working last week and I had to change it.

Thank you very much.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I just fell off a watermelon truck, therefore am all scared, but will provide help to help yourself first.

Based upon you advice, it sounds to me like a power steering issue. Are all the fluids up to spec??

However to confirm that I would let someone you trust open the hood start the car,and go through the procedure you described, while you look and listen for where you think is the location of the noise.

Once YOU have pinpointed the location, the cause should become apparent!! Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts