Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a MY 2010 W212 E350 4MATIC with the standard 245/45/17 tires on the standard 17" wheel.

There is pronounced vibration on the steering wheel when light tapping the brakes at about 45MPH and above...but only when the brakes are applied lightly. The steering is vibrating, NOT the brake pedal.

I replaced all four rotors. No effect.

I replaced all brake pads. No effect.

I replaced all four tires with new Michelin's. Road force balanced. Wheel alignment done. No effect.

I do not have any bent wheel(s). My tire pressure is perfect.

EVERYTIME i lightly tap on the brakes at about 45MPH and above, I can feel the steering wheel vibrate AND can see the steering wheel slightly vibrate left and right! It is very very frustrating!

Any ideas what else could be wrong here? :confused:

Im out of ideas and would love to hear from the W212 gurus here :(

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
740 Posts
As you seem to have addressed the more obvious I can only think to look at the the pieces related to steering geometry - ball end joints, etc. Don't know your mileage but if high these suspension/steering items should be examined.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,231 Posts
Check strut (100 in diagram) and cross strut (200). FYI common cause for steering wheel twitch during braking in previous 211 was strut bearing (110) you may want to begin here.

Strut (without bearing) left 2123303111, right 3211
Bearing 2123300314
Cross strut left & right 2123301911

Attachments

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As you seem to have addressed the more obvious I can only think to look at the the pieces related to steering geometry - ball end joints, etc. Don't know your mileage but if high these suspension/steering items should be examined.
Check strut (100 in diagram) and cross strut (200). FYI common cause for steering wheel twitch during braking in previous 211 was strut bearing (110) you may want to begin here.

Strut (without bearing) left 2123303111, right 3211
Bearing 2123300314
Cross strut left & right 2123301911
Mike/Konig: Thanks for the feedback. This sounds like an expensive repair, no? Any ideas how much this work (strut bearing) would cost?? :confused: What could have caused this issue? potholes?

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 Sport 4Matic
203 Posts
I have a MY 2010 W212 E350 4MATIC with the standard 245/45/17 tires on the standard 17" wheel.

There is pronounced vibration on the steering wheel when light tapping the brakes at about 45MPH and above...but only when the brakes are applied lightly. The steering is vibrating, NOT the brake pedal.

I replaced all four rotors. No effect.

I replaced all brake pads. No effect.

I replaced all four tires with new Michelin's. Road force balanced. Wheel alignment done. No effect.

I do not have any bent wheel(s). My tire pressure is perfect.

EVERYTIME i lightly tap on the brakes at about 45MPH and above, I can feel the steering wheel vibrate AND can see the steering wheel slightly vibrate left and right! It is very very frustrating!

Any ideas what else could be wrong here? :confused:

Im out of ideas and would love to hear from the W212 gurus here :(
I would have someone check your wheel lugs and see if they are properly evenly torqued to specs before moving on to anything else.

Some shops use air tools that torque wheel lugs too much and unevenly that could warp rotors and/or cause the wheels to be mounted in an unbalanced fashion that could cause vibration in the steering wheel.

I always use a torque wrench to check my wheel lugs after having work done on my car that required the wheels to be removed by someone else.

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,

It has 52K miles.

·
Registered
1990 300 CE, 2012 E350 coupe
187 Posts
I think you need to revisit your new front brake rotors. It is possible that one of the new front rotors is not true or maybe not installed true. Are they brand new Mercedes parts or aftermarket. Sure sounds like rotors to me in the front. The rear wouldn't cause a steering shake just a vibration or an uneven slowing

·
Registered
1990 300 CE, 2012 E350 coupe
187 Posts
Here is what I would do or have done. Recheck the wheel torque with a real torque wrench. Loosen them one at a time and retorque following the proper tightening sequence and recheck your front rotor run out. I am very sensitive to the same thing and I believe that one of these is likely the culprit.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
258 Posts
My first instincts were a bad rotor.
There is no money to be saved by after market brake parts and you can get the odd OEM that is not right too.
A new rotor can warp under the first heavy braking if the heat treatment is off.

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gentlemen, thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I have not had the time unfortunately :( to do anything about it and so I still have the issue and will address it soon. I will post back anything worth reporting.

Please keep any other suggestions coming :grin

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
258 Posts
I am going to ask a really dumb ass question.
Is it possible that the lane keeping assist camera is loose and when you brake it moves left or right and shakes the steering wheel?
A bit out of the box but not impossible.
The shaker is in a cross arm of the steering wheel and easily accessible.
Disconnecting it would tell you pretty quick I am thinking.
My thoughts of course assume it is not a huge vibration similar to one you would get with a warped rotor.

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
Brake rotors cause that, bad tires also as I've noticed with my most recent car.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,514 Posts
As I read the OP's opening remarks about his problem, I'm immediately thinking that it sounds like a problem with the rotors. Although it may not be the only thing that would cause such a problem, and he does say the rotors have been replaced, I'd be very, very sure that it's still not related to the rotors before aggressively pursuing some of the other suggestions.

·
Registered
1984 500 sec
56 Posts
Have you properly bedded your new brake pads? If new pad material is not evenly applied to the rotors, you can get a vibration when the brakes are first lightly applied. Check Google for proper bedding procedures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts