Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me with this... I have a 99 clk430 and I just recently replaced the front pads. Although it is not the oem pads from mercedes, I don't think that would matter. However, on that same day that I replaced the pads, I also painted the front and rear calipers red. Now I am experiencing a bit of a soft pedal and when I step the brake pedal a couple of times, it would get hard. I don't believe I have a leak in the line, nor do I have air trapped in the lines. So could it be possible that new pads would need some time to break-in or do I have a problem with my brakes? Please Help....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brake pads take some time to wear in - it should get better after 1k miles. Wear in the brakes gently. Assuming you did not open the system (fluiud), you should be ok however brake fluiud should be changed every 2 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brake pads take some time to wear in - it should get better after 1k miles. Wear in the brakes gently. Assuming you did not open the system (fluiud), you should be ok however brake fluiud should be changed every 2 years.

·
Registered
2002 CLK320
42 Posts
I've run into this same problem. I replaced my brakes with non-mercedes pads last weekend. I plan on getting high quality pads/rotors when I get my wheels so I was trying to replace them as cheaply as possible for the time being. I bled the brakes, there's no air in the line and no leaks. Dot 4 fluid was used and is at the correct level. At this point the pedal felt pretty spongy. I drove it around for a while and took it back home. It was spongy to the point the pedal went to the floor and it was taking about 5 times longer to come to a stop. However if the brake was pumped while braking, I would get my full brake force. I let my uncle look at the car as he is a mechanic who has had training working on Mercedes. He can't figure out what the problem is either. At first I thought it could be the master cylinder but he says it is fine. He did mention that my rotors were bad and needed to be replaced. Could this cause the spongy pedal? He bled them again and says it stops a little better but the spongy feel is still there. I'm having a hard time believing and even understanding the above statement of the brakes "taking time to wear in" as the cause. Any insight provided would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1985 190E2.6(junked), 1995c220, 2000CLK430(totaled), 2001C240, 2009 CLS
421 Posts
You might still have airr in the brake system or a bum M.C. or a caliper that is rusted or is leaking . In any case you should get it fixed asap!!!! There are times that a M.C. will be shot but not leak, it will bleed by the piston. Start car apply even constant pressure to pedal, if pedal goes to floor, it's either a leak in the system or air. Brakes need to be bedded-in but this would not cause a need to pump pedal several times. Tirerack .com has a tutorial on bedding in the brakes.
It does sound like air in the system though, bleed the rt rear first, then left rear,rt ft and finally left ft.

·
Premium Member
1985 190E2.6(junked), 1995c220, 2000CLK430(totaled), 2001C240, 2009 CLS
421 Posts
Longest line has greatest chance for air in line .

·
Registered
2002 CLK320
42 Posts
In order not to void my warranty, I purchased OEM rotors and pads and figured I would install them before taking the car to the dealership. Once installed, I bled the brakes again and all of a sudden the brakes were back to normal. I can't confirm that the rotors were the problem since all logic points to air in the lines, but the fact remains that prior to installing new rotors the system was bled 3 times by me and twice by my uncle who is a mechanic. Regardless of the cause, I'm glad to have my car back in working order. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts