Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300 SL,1999 SL 500
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was a nice day till I put my top up and noticed that my plastic windows in the softtop cracked and I mean I know they were bad in the first place but now I definately have to change them, any help would be most appreciated if anyone has changed the windows on their own or has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Personally, after having first replaced the widows and then later the entire top. I would suggest biting the bullet and replacing the top. It is hard work getting the rear section off the car. Then you need a really good canvas guy to replace the windows. Next question, "Replace them with what??". There are threads in here that will take you days to read on just what is the best material manufacturer.

Go for a new top. :cool:

·
Registered
2004 CL500 /// 2004 CLK500 (sold) /// 1991 500SL (sold)
41 Posts
I too have this problem. Anyone know of repair facility in Western CANADA--called Wayne's Upholstry in Edmonton and he quoted me $1150 just to replace back window-was using book rates at about 12 hrs labour. Will drop car by for him to have a look to get a better quote-given would only need to remove lower portion-but still seems high.

·
Registered
'90 500SL 85K kms
86 Posts
I replaced the windows in my soft top over the winter. It took me an afternoon to remove the soft top and about the same to replace it. I had a local upholsterer that does canvas tops on boats sew new windows in.

Download and watch the videos, it isn't that difficult.

I will post before and after pictures tomorrow after I get home.

·
Registered
1966 230SL, 1999 SL500
37 Posts
Hello,

I am in pretty much the same situation with regards to the soft top rear window. Looking forward to the before and after pics, and do you have a pointer to the top removal video?? Also, I have a 1999 - is there any substantial difference in the removal process (I know 1999 was a transition year for some bits and pieces.....).

Thanks -- Roger

·
Registered
'90 500SL 85K kms
86 Posts
Sorry, a day late I know. Been working and only was able to sleep 5 hours since Sunday.

Here are the videos, great resource. I have saved them and watch them whenever I undertake something sometimes pausing and reviewing while I am doing the project. (they are in the stickies at the top of the R129 forum)

Translated version of http://www.classic-roadster.de/modules.php?set_albumName=Filme-r129-demontage&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

If you are doing what I did and just removing the rear part of the roof you can skip a lot of the steps but watch all of the videos so you can plan your attack. As I said earlier I removed the top and took it to an upholsterer, I did read a thread where somebody left the top on and cut open the stitching removing the old windows and just gluing new one in place. The plastic windows themselves can be hard to find and there was quite a thread earlier on finding a source. The upholsterer recommended the plastic that I ended up using saying she has found good wear and folding qualities but did warn me to be careful if the plastic got cold.

I am not going to label the before and after pictures, I think you can figure it out . . . (I did replace all 3 windows, you can't see it but the side windows were just starting to crack)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts