Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to remove my driver's side side skirt to repair a small fracture. Was a pain to get off but when I pulled it the clips that are directly underneath the door popped out and I don't know if I should clip them into the body first or to the side skirt. Since I don't want to stress the thing too much (the plastic seems really prone to cracking esp at the two end tabs and very fragile molded clip retainer) I was wondering what the best way to re-attach it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The clips should seperate into two parts....

The bigger one goes in first. Once attached, put the middle part in.<p>pool-138-89-104-65.mad.east.verizon.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frank - will try it once the glue sets

Hopefully the epoxy i'm using will hold since the crack is at a pretty high stress point just below the front tab. Using Permatex Auto Epoxy and will let it sit overnight before I touch up the hairline crack with touch up paint. Tried JB Weld Quik but it wouldn't bond properly to the plastic - basically just popped off. The design of skirt is pretty bad - they should have used a small bold to hold the thing at both ends instead of a molded piece that goes into the body. The front bumper is another matter. Wife had (two) small mishaps with a high parking stopper - first time broke two of the pylons and dislodged the air spoiler - no crack to the bumper - fixed it with epoxy. Second time she did the same thing but cracked the lower bumper and cracked all the pylons which threw the spoiler out of the car which also cracked it. - Total cost - insurance about 2600 dollars to replace and repaint both pieces. Here in St Louis we must be pretty bad drivers because almost every CLK I've seen in the last 2 years is missing the front air spoiler or has a cracked lower bumper. Same applies to Sport SL500's.<p>adsl-208-190-210-254.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anytime Scott...I've actually lost the middle pc. of the front bumper...

which is terribly held on by just some small corners. Well, good luck with your mishap ! See you around. ;-))<p>pool-138-89-109-234.mad.east.verizon.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts