Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum but have been using advice from you all for a while on my 2000 s430. Just recently the battery went dead on the car so i thought "ok lets get a new battery" so i did that and the car turned on. But now the fuel gauge wont work even though it has around 8 gallons of gas, the seats and windows wouldnt work but then suddenly started working again, the radio will turn on but not play music. And not to mention the battery will completely drain after 8 or so hours

So i checked fuses and relays and found several blown and replaced them to no avail. Then, i turned on the ac only to have smoke blowing out of the vents. So that led me to believe there was a short so i removed the blower motor and checked all of the wiring, it was all fine and i could find nothing burnt on any of the wires around the ac. so i try to turn the ac again and now it wont even work! I just recently put in a new blower motor about 1 month ago.

The battery still dies, the ac, radio, Fuel gauge and windows still do not work.
Oh and the "Binding Post" fuse in the rear fuse box clicks when i turn the key on but stops when the car is started.

And to make matters worse, now i cant open the trunk!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
Also i want to fix this myself if at all possible.

Thanks

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You have multiple problems for which there will not be a single, easy answer.

The most serious is the smoke from your vents, which I suspect is related to the fan or the fan controller.

Replacing a battery will not ordinarily cause fuses to blow. I hope you did not have the key in the ignition when you replaced the battery, or the audio system on. If so, you may have damaged equipment.

As to the battery drain (quiescent drain), your audio problems, and refusal of the trunk to open, please see the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky toward the top of the first W220 forum page. There are several links to threads dealing with these.

Also see the "Resets" section for problems you may not have discovered yet.

Last, there is no fuse in your car labeled "binding post" so I don't know which fuse you refer to. It would be helpful if you provided a fuse block number and the description from your fuse diagram (there is one in the Encyclopedia if you don't have yours).

Something tells me there is no "silver bullet" solution to the problems you describe; but if the battery replacement was not done properly, you could have problems with the rear SAM (under the back seat). The fuses behind the passenger footwell courtesy light are plugged into it. Problems with a SAM can cause multiple, seemingly unrelated problems. Look under "car flooded" section under Electrical System for symptoms of a rear SAM problem (even if you had no water in the car). It starts with "Dashboard switches won't work."

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Did you get a real OEM new battery from Mercedes-Benz parts?

My guess is that if you just go to AutoZone and buy a generic battery, you're going to have a bad time. You can't do that with a Mercedes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same replacement battery as i had previously had when there were no problems. So i know it isnt the battery.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I got the same replacement battery as i had previously had when there were no problems. So i know it isnt the battery.
Could you explain in detail how you changed the battery? and what is the amphr of the new battery? Also do you know what caused the old battery to die?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i replaced the battery i removed the old one and then installed the new one and did the reset procedure with the steering wheel and tried the window reset but the windows would not work at the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts