Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CL500 /// 2004 CLK500 (sold) /// 1991 500SL (sold)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty running new speaker wires through the doors-under the dash-to the rear. Would also like to run an amp power cable to the battery in the trunk from the rear. To date I have removed the door panels, the panels under the dash, the center console and the rearcompartments and back panels. I have broken 1 fish leader and still am at a loss.
If anyone has done this I would appreciate their advice. Hopefully, I will not have to also disassemble the door further because I already have too many piles from initial disassembly and am not to keen to start cutting holes to get into trunk.
Thanks.
Terry

·
Registered
2001 SL500
1,127 Posts
For the rears just run them under the center console. You can run the power wire to the truck from the drivers side there is a square black conduit running back there. The doors snake a wire from the kick panel through the rubber piping in to the door.

·
Registered
2004 CL500 /// 2004 CLK500 (sold) /// 1991 500SL (sold)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks-able to run wires for drivers side-extremely tight fit given number of cables/wires already there. Need to remove carpeted kick panel on lower passenger side to get access to rubber conduit to door. Appears I will need to remove airbag and drop lower cover under airbag. Reviewed video and it mentions disconnecting SRS connector before removing air bag. Do you know where this connector is located-what it looks like? Also the round black plastic retainers that holds the carpet-can they just be popped off-seems rather tight and I did not want to exert extreme pressure and end up causing unnecessary damage. So have cables to trunk and 1 door done-1 door to go and then figure how to hook up head unit. Is there a wiring diagram for head unit hookup? Thanks. Terry

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
834 Posts
I have put cables under both the center console and in the door sills. Dorr sills is easier:

For running them into the trunk this cable channel is suitable:

In the -94 it was different, molded cable harnesses, I put a cabletube on both sides of the car, the holes are already there:

Fits nicely and easy to fit new cables without taking half the car apart:

Tubing ends up here in the trunk, the same on the other side:

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport
33 Posts
Help!!!
About to start major stereo, GPS, ipod, Subwoofer, and Amp install. Gus seems to be the resident guru for cable routing from dash to trunk, but all his pics are gone. Can anyone else explain the available pathways and/ or provide photos?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Help!!!
About to start major stereo, GPS, ipod, Subwoofer, and Amp install. Gus seems to be the resident guru for cable routing from dash to trunk, but all his pics are gone. Can anyone else explain the available pathways and/ or provide photos?
I am still around, although the gallery is not...

Best way, just remove the lining in the trunk, either side, easiest on drivers, there is a huge "tunnel" there, you can get your arms inside the rear fender. I ran a black 20mm electrical flex tube from there to the beginning of the door sill, there is a 25-30mm hole there. Cover in "back seat" needs to be removed. Under the door sill there is already a "cable channel". Or, you can run the Cables towards the centre console, done that also. The dash is quite easily accessible underneath in the footwell, need to remove covering.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport
33 Posts
I hope you still have your pics

Thanks Gus,
I think I found all the the items you described. I have removed all of the bose and alpine equipment. Rear panels, door covers, sill covers, and trunk panels have been removed. I'm planning to put a sub in the old Bose sub spot, and I saw another old post of yours that was also without pics. Would you be able to help with that process? I was hoping to avoid having to fiberglass the interior. Do you have any pics of yours?
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks Gus,
I think I found all the the items you described. I have removed all of the bose and alpine equipment. Rear panels, door covers, sill covers, and trunk panels have been removed. I'm planning to put a sub in the old Bose sub spot, and I saw another old post of yours that was also without pics. Would you be able to help with that process? I was hoping to avoid having to fiberglass the interior. Do you have any pics of yours?
Any advice would be appreciated.
I kind of did what you want to do, BUT, I think MB must have had bad luck when placing the BOSE sub, why the hell would you want it in the compartment behind the drivers seat?
If someone is driving, that person is most likely getting out on the drivers side, then the empty compartment should be there.

I ripped the BOSE out, covered the whole compartment on the passenger side with tape and fiber glassed it. Ended up with a perfect fit sub box. Made a top out of 16 mm MDF, insulated it and put a 10" speaker there. Cut a whole in the cover, fitted a metal mesh for 10" speaker and covered it with grey felt fabric, when cover is closed you can see a circle that is slightly off the grey interiour colour.

AND, I have an empty compartment on the drivers side...

I have Pictures, drop me a msg with mailadress and I will see what I can do...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi Gus,any chance I could get the pics of the 10" sub you mad for the back seat as well. Is it easy to get back seat off? My email for pics is [email protected]

cheers Rob
Back home on Tuesday, will fix pictures then...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sorry for late reply, I realised I had some pictures from recently when I pulled it out, have a lot more somewhere:

Album: 130709

I guess it is for sale, going to redo the whole "back seat", but it is a heavy one, both the actual speaker and the box I made, thick fibreglass, 16 mm MDF and a lot of asphalt insulation on the inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts