Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
From the following thread:

What to buy, with options (applies pretty much to other non-Erisin-based Android units, just get their equivalents). I ended up ordering the ES3782, with 4 cores, 2GB DRAM, and 16GB built-in flash storage.

Post 51:
Post 88:

Wiring speakers:

Post 71:
Post 99:
Post 102:
Post 105:
Post 107:
Post 140:
Post 141:
Post 157:
Post 199:
Post 203:
Post 209:
Post 249:
Post 250:

Aftermarket Speakers:

Post 234:
Post 235:

Additional Amplifiers:

Post 189:
Post 218:
Post 253:

Installing Head Unit in Dash (Factory COMAND head unit connections, from pre-facelift car):

Post 94:
Post 157:

Wiring CAN bus:

Post 109:
Post 110:
Post 112:

(Actually, Posts 112-119)

Post 129:
Post 130:
Post 140:
Post 141:
Post 146:
Post 157:

Add-on Video Eqpt:

Post 147:
Post 148:
Post 150:
Post 157:
Post 167:
Post 219:
Post 220

Antennae:

Post 154:
Post 157:

Wiring Power Circuits:

Post 157:
Post 184:

Head Unit Menus:

Post 147:
Post 221:
Post 222:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
From the following thread:

Aftermarket Speakers:

Post 04:
Post 06:
Post 07:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,842 Posts
Dave, the best I have are your own threads in the Audio & Telematics forum stickies. Rossafuss has some good info, but takes a direction broader than the W220.

·
Registered
627 Posts
WOW :grin @cowboyt ,

Thank You, that will give us a really good starting point, I will start the new sticky this weekend :wink
I actually posted a like message to let Cowboyt know I was impressed with his effort. I then went back and deleted it so as not to muddy up the thread with unnecessary posts......like I just did now :laugh

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi @Triple cranks ,

LOL, no prob with that, I just don't want a bunch of 30 post discussions on "how do I xyz my yak yak yak Android " in here, as time is precious now due to busy business, and I don't want to wade through loads of posts as I use this as a reference to build the W220 Android Encyclopaedia .............

That's why that sticky is locked ;) Keep it tidy ;)

If, as a lot of us do, you are following one or two of the current threads you will realise how much time the odd few members waste asking the same questions over again when one of us have already given the answers a few posts earlier :big laugh: ..................

lol, I'm just getting "Crabbit" in my old age :wink

I will continue to update the Sticky over the next few weeks / months, I have a load of stuff of my own to add to it, so I'm going to try and find half hour a day to work on it :wink

What @cowboyt did is really perfect and has made my life easier to get the ball rolling in the sticky, and so "my hat is off to him" it is a great help.

If anyone else finds stuff that's not in his links, please do as he did and post them here and we can build a really good resource ;)

I've got the photo's and how to's for Rear Facing "factory look" DVD Players / Monitor Front Seat Headrests including fabricating decent hollow Stainless Headrest Poles that work properly with the Headrest up / down Motors inside the Seats, and "invisible wiring" cables through the hollow Pole centre ;)

Thanks for your interest in this, and :laugh ........... Now I've gone and clogged it up :wink

What I may do is delete these "sub post discussions" say fortnightly if we get a lot, just so others get a chance to read 'em first and hopefully understand what is going on ;)

@Tiger_one , also had a very useful thread, (or lots of posts in one), running ............ Maybe he can contribute useful links from those :devil

@Skylaw ,

Thanks, you have given me an idea to throw in a useful Curved Ball ................

What I will do soon is to add to another non W220 specific Heading, "Useful Non W220 Android threads" and include links to the @Rossafuss brilliant thread, and my own R170 thread etc etc

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi @wallyp ,

That is what I was thinking of doing, but I'll wait until ours is populated on all headings and then hopefully @Skylaw can lock it when I copy and paste it across as I don't have Moderator rights over there ...................

Or in fact it may be easier for me to just put a link up to ours, then as I add to it they still get all the updates when they are added here ;)

I've already copied all my R170 Install stuff across into it's own sticky ;)

I think there are some on here who have never heard of Audio and Telematics forum, or likely just plain can't be bothered to search for the answers they are asking for :rolleyes:

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Oka Dokey,

So much for half hour a day, lol ..............

That's all @cowboyt 's links done, I'll start with my own install info next ..............

lets be having anything else from some more of you guys :wink

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,842 Posts
Hi @wallyp ,

That is what I was thinking of doing, but I'll wait until ours is populated on all headings and then hopefully @Skylaw can lock it when I copy and paste it across as I don't have Moderator rights over there ...................

Or in fact it may be easier for me to just put a link up to ours, then as I add to it they still get all the updates when they are added here ;)
I'm happy to do either; however, as you point out, if I "stick" a link from Audio & Telematics back to the thread in the W220 forum, you'd only need to make any changes in one place; otherwise, you'd have two threads to keep up with.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi @Skylaw

I have added a whole ton of info today, from my own Posts, and from some of Brians @ricebubbles

I still have a load more, will keep adding slowly, workshop getting very busy again now after a reasonably quiet couple of days which has enabled me to get this off the ground :grin

I think it is now becoming very useable, with all Headings now populated, if anyone has any other suggestions for stuff to add, please post them up, perhaps I'll also put a link to Audio and Telematics in the Non W220 section :wink

Cheers for now ;)

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi @Skylaw ,

If you want to now delete that old 3 post sticky of mine in Audio and Telematics titled "W220 Android Install", and replace it with a closed one linking to the new Sticky here .................

Something like "W220 Android Encyclopaedia"

That will be the tidiest way of doing it IMHO, and as you have rightly said, the link is easier than me having to get you to add to it each time new posts / threads come along, because I can't edit there either after a week or so :wink

I'd do that myself but my Mod rights don't allow me to do it on the other Benzworld Forums ;)

Cheers,

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi,

Yes I will definitely do that when someone has posted up exactly how to do it ................

There is at least 5 Car versions that will all be different ................. D2B Non Bose, Most Non Bose, D2B Bose, Most Bose, and then there is the in betweeners which is pre facelift Cars with AGW (IIRC circa 2003 / 2004 MY) ...................

When I did mine, (Non Bose D2B), I didn't document it, but one of the items was ICM, set Phone and Navi to not present, change COMAND to Audio 10, and set its Clock to not "Synch Time with COMAND" so it becomes a stand alone clock which you set through the ICM Module ;)

That's all I can remember now, but I believe I also set stuff in EIS etc maybe, :dunno:

You basically have to spend time on SDS and start by "Quick Test" then look at Coding in all modules that report Fault / loss of communication with CD Changer, COMAND, CTel or similar !!

After that I just went through all modules fitted on the Car ;)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It's been a while since I was into this, and senility is always a possibility...

On the initial mask (sorta the home page for Xentry), I think that there is a line for control modules, and either COMAND or Audio Gateway should be where you want.

You can look at everything in there, and do things like change each unit (radio, CD changer, voice control, cell phone, etc.) from "FITTED" to "NOT FITTED", change their position on the FO ring, etc. If I remember correctly, COMAND can be changed to "NOT FITTED" in there.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
hi @wallyp ,

Yeah you can, if you know for sure exactly which modules it does or doesn't communicate with ............

And that's only the start of it, like I said, you want to get rid of the redundant stuff in cluster too, and code it so the Dash Clock becomes stand alone etc etc ............

It is one thing to be able to chuck an Android in the Dash and play music, but quite another to get it all working in harmony :wink

I believe there may even be a coding in EIS as well, but it's been a long while since I meddled, and my Car is different to the norm anyway, so my codings will not all apply ;)

The installer will just have to spend an afternoon with SDS and go through it all, but if the first step is "Quick Test" to look for stuff that is no longer communicating with a removed COMAND unit, it is a very good starting point to work away from by recoding them first :)

HTH,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing