Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering if anyone know anything about a/c design. I have two x 18,000btu evaporators, and need to figure out a suitable condenser. I want to fit the condenser on the RH side of the the engine bay, which is limited to about the a similar size to the radiator. about 560w x 500h. I've looked at loads of condensers, but can't find the rating on any of them. I've got the rest figured out.

Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for over here. According to a few websites, big 4x4s like a Toyota Landcruiser has 33,000btu and your average hatchback like a Golf /Corolla has 12-18,000btu. My cab has a massive "look through" so the camper box is connected to the cab. Two of the vents will blow into the back for the rear passengers. They a/c evaporators are adjustable, both for temp and air flow, so if it is too cold, I can just turn it up a bit and turn down the air flow.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ian, i was told by a supplier who sells components for heavy equipment a/c to use the largest condenser you have room for. the compreser, and evap cant do their jobs well w/o the condenser rockin as it should. i doubt "overkill" will be an issue. get a huge one. cheers, kris

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hi Iain, I have the same information as Kris - the bigger the better. Vintage Air sells a
Nice "Monster" condenser, and their website has a nice treatise on A/C systems that is
Downloadable.
Also, the penalty incurred by stacking the A/C condenser in front of the radiator is not nearly
The same as that of stacking the intercooler there. The former has little impact on the airflow to the radiator, whereas the intercooler should not be stacked in front of the radiator if the
Available space allows for it.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
From all I've read, that seems to be the gist of it - biggest possible condenser. I've read the vintage air site, great info on it but no actual figures. It would be great to see some details on BTU ratings. Easy on a evaporator, no problem on compressors, but absolutely bugger all on condensers - and that seems to be the most important component

Looks like I'll go with two condensers - one on the RH and one in front of the radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts