Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace shocks, do I need to remove or compress springs for this process? Or I don't need to toch the springs. Any help much appreciated guys,

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 320, but it should be the same, di you have to support the arm with a jack or not.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
A jack will be needed to help guide the top bolt of the shock back through the hole.

Tip take top bolt off first. Jack car and remove bottom bolt and replace shock. Small jack on arm to push top bolt through hole so you can put the bolt on it. Replace the wheel and lower the car to tighten top bolt.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
One other thing.

Check the top of the new shock. The Stock ones have a flat on each side of the shaft where you can put a narrow open end wrench on it to keep it from spinning while you remove the top bolt.

Might be a good idea to make sure you have one handy in case the shaft wants to spin as you remove the bolt. Most times they dont but if it does and you dont have one it could be a pain.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris, do you know what torque I should have on both top and bottom screws for the shock, or it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
104 Posts
Bottom bolts - more that nice and tight

I did mine a few months ago, and the bottom bolts on the shocks must be very tight. I would estimate about 80ft-lbs, but I had no torque wrench when I did 'em.

About a month after completing the job, I noticed some nasty sounds coming from my suspension, and I found that the bottom "eyes" of the shocks were slipping in the cradle in which they are installed. Tightened the bolts very tight, and all is well.:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts