Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the radiator on a 1998 C280 that developed a crack on the end tank where the hose neck meets the plastic. I see that this car has lines connected to it as well, which I'm guessing houses transmission fluid. How can I replace this radiator without having to service the transmission and replace the ATF?

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
I assume it is similar, when I replaced the radiator on my 4Runner after disconnecting them from the radiator I just plugged the lines and arched them up as much as possible to prevent fluid from draining out.
If you plug em quick enough you only get a few drops on the floor.
I did not drop more than an ounce or two of ATF.

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2009 E350
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
Yeah go to a parts store and buy some plugs that fit over the lines, or just a rubber hose to connect the two together while you are changing it out. Transmission service really isnt necessary; just try to capture what spills out, measure it and top off with that much new fluid. Thats how we do it at our collision shop. Keep in mind that the rad probably holds between a pint or a quart(guessing) so no matter how little you spill on a replacement you will need to add fluid to compensate for what was in the rad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts