Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML320
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some expert advice on replacing the ECU in my '99 ML320. I have been told that a used ECU cannot be reprogrammed so I need to buy a new one (problem is that in NZ they cost about US$3500). However in determining that the ECU was causing the problem, the area technical advisor took the ecu from another ML and put it in my vehicle along with taping the keys from the other vehicle to my ignition to show how the problem would be resolved. Can someone tell me, if I get hold of a used ECU, what else has to be changed as my understanding is that the ECU affects the immobiliser and possibly airbags?
Thanks

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
well as I told someone before, on the newer cars, once installed in the vehicle and programmed, the ME is married to that vehicle and cant be used on another vehicle. Now with the older ML's you can install a ME for testing purposes and it wont be married, but if I remember correctly from the last time, after so many starts, the ME is locked and married to the vehicle. So if asking if a used ME will work, I doubt it. also plugging it in isnt that easy, you need a DAS to properly install a new control unit. the vehicle wont start unless you go through the steps outlined in DAS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts