Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes!! I, like many others, had the interior paint peeling issue. It was peeling too much just to touch up. I ordered the Viponds paint and setup about removing the rear part of the center console. I started removing more paint... it was pretty easily peeling off and then I started cleaning it with Accetone. Well the Accetone did clean the paint but it also removed the textured surface so it is just smooth plastic. I considered just buying a new part.... I was thinking $150, $200 tops but OMG, $650 which is insane.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do at this point. Is it possible to get the texture back. Can body/paint shops do that type of thing or am I screwed. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 1998
366 Posts
If I was in your shoes I would put some bondo or paste to make everything texture-less, and then I would paint using the color I want.

Or you can simply buy a piece of leather that is textured and glue it all over the place which will give it a more original look. Get multiple pieces of leather same color from eBay, the result will be remarkable and relatively cheap

Since you scrapped th paint and used acetone, I would say you are a diy person who can do either option I mentioned.

Don't forget to post picture when you are done :)

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
didn't someone in this forum wrap the center console with leather? it looked really nice, tho i can't seem to find the right link/thread. it was a very professional-looking job IIRC.

regards,
Ray

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Yes, I remember that bespoke leather wrapping. If/when my interior begins to look worn, that's about the only non-OEM option I'd seriously consider. I think the fellow was in Singapore, but you could probably have it done by many auto upholstery shops.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
This method will give you a bit of texture but only enough to get rid of the smooth surface as the paint is very thin. -I used it to cover a patch of nail polish that some idiot had used to fix the peeling.

The attached pic was originally a suggestion to blend new paint into old without getting a line (as with the earlier terry towel suggestion) but should help with your problem a little.

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is pretty much what I decided to do but rather than leather I went with a good vinyl that is pretty much an exact match for the anthracite color. I am not doing the whole lower dash... just the center and rear console. The vinyl is thinner and does not need to be shaved like leather does so it will provide easier fitment. The vinyl will also likely hold up better than the leather over time and will be easier to care for. I'll post pictures of how it looks.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

didn't someone in this forum wrap the center console with leather? it looked really nice, tho i can't seem to find the right link/thread. it was a very professional-looking job IIRC.

regards,
Ray

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Autobahn / (Gone) '02 SLK32 AMG
372 Posts
Hey steve, any updates or tips? I jacked my stuff up trying to strip it and trying the vinyl now also...

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
410 Posts
I just finished installing a freshly painted center console in my 98 SLK, and in the process removed the original out of the car.

So for those that ruined their consoles with paint strippers and would like another chance but can't afford the dealer cost, I am offering mince for sale.

Physically it's in great shape, no cracks, breaks, etc. The red paint is peeling or has rubbed off in spots, but the texture is intact. You can use Motsenbocker's Lift-Off Paint and Varnish Remover to remove the paint without destroying the surface.

If interested, PM me. The price is $150 for the front and back parts of the console. Buyer will pay the actual shipping cost. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I can provide them on request.

I have a few other center console parts as well, which I'm listing in the classifieds forum. DO a search for SLK center console, and you'll find it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the results. When I have some free time, I may re-do the rear center conole. There are a couple spots around the e-brake that I'm not 100% happy with (I have OCD)... lol

I also swapped the "birds-eye" trim out for the faux carbon fiber from an old 230. I know the birds-eye is real wood trim, but I could never understand why they is brown trim in a grey/black interior. I did have to carefully dremel out for 3 switches and make a custom shift-gate trim, but over-all it was pretty easy.

I covered the 2 center pieces with "Whisper Black" vinyl from Hancock Fabrics. It is almost a perfect match with the seats. I used light grey headliner material to line the inside of the armrest. I cut & covered a pice of plexi-glass to make a false bottom to cover up my GPS brain also. Gives the same 2-tone look of the seats. I used 3M hi-stength 90 spray adhesive to bond the vinyl. It takes some getting used to working with, but not "too" hard. The console now "feels" more Benz-like.

Attachments

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
allen do you have the ashtray door in birdseye maple? if you want to sell it let me know

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry Steve, The ashtray door is broken. That was one of the things that prompted me to finally change the trim... That stupid ashtray section is like $400 at the dealer...

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey steve, any updates or tips? I jacked my stuff up trying to strip it and trying the vinyl now also...
Well this has been an ordeal... the color I picked did not match really well after all so after finally getting it to the point were it was all stuck down and stabled where it needed to be, when I looked at the color match I was not happy so I am changing it. I'm hoping it will be done better after a second attempt but honestly it is not nearly as good as what I saw in the guy who had it done in Malaysia.... I think is that is where it was. It is OK but the workmanship of the other person who did this was amazing...

I'm hoping it turns out a little better this time. We'll see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts