Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E 320
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to take my car apart to get it ready for a new paint job can anyone shed some light as to how to remove the lower rocker panel or side skirt that runs under the door jam from front to back wheel.
I see a few bolts that I need to remove but can seem to figure out how the gray clips that have a "T" shape head on the come out.

I can pop the rocker panel loose at the top inside the door jab with my removal tool, its just the bottom side I'm stuck on, I don't want to risk breaking anything by forcing or pulling to hard without knowing the outcome in advance.

My car is an 01 E 320

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2012 E350C4
55 Posts
Those gray plastic clips were actually black when they were new. I had to installed a few of those recently when I realized some missing.

You'll notice six clips per side with each end of the skirt supported with sheet metal screws. Each plastic clip is actually two pieces pressed together. What you see at the bottom is just half of the assembly. There's a top piece that is installed between the skirt and frame, and both pieces are pressed together into the frame.

You should be able to pry the pieces apart with a flat screw driver by placing it between the frame and the skirt. It could be a little awkward since you'll have to do it from the middle out.

I have a couple of extra clips at home and I can take pictures of them when I get back home later today.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2012 E350C4
55 Posts
Following up on my earlier posting, the two clips as shown in the picture below are:

#009-988-42-78 and 009-988-43-78, respectively.

The hollowed piece is placed between the skirt and an allocated slot in the frame, followed by the bottom clip pressed into the upper clip from below the skirt.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts