Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am replacing the front struts,I have one side down, and on the second side. I am having issues getting one of the two inside bolts loosened. I am afraid I may start stripping it if I try any further. I do not have an air gun, so that is not an option. I got the others loose by beating the wrench with a hammer to start them. This one will just not budge! :eek:

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Did you try using a breaker bar or something like that? I sprayed the crap out of mine with penetrating oil and then put the second half of the tire iron that comes with the car over the end of the ratchet and they broke free no problem. It's hard if you're a bigger guy and can't get under there but luckily for me I can fit myself into the wheel well lol. If it's the bolt closest to the bumper try turning the ratchet or wrench from the front of the car I.E with your arms under the bumper. That's how I got mine, it makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kevwa. I went and picked up some of this PB penetrating lubricant and that did the trick! I sprayed the hell out of it and it loosened it up.

This car must have had the original struts. Look below.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts