Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E320 wagon, Bose no Nav ...

Installing Sony head unit - needs 12V switched but all that is available in chassis harness is 12V hot (all the time).

Where is the best place to pull this from? Trying to pull the driver footwell cover off to search for a source, but can't event get it open - I was able to pull it open to just below the steering wheel - appears to be firmly binding as it curves towards the center console ... I have removed the one Philips screw and two hex head screws and the strange plastic nut that holds the cover to the firewall just behind the accelerator and brake pedals, but it won't pull off ...

I know it is something simple ... just can't figure it out! HELP!

Re the 12V switched source ... what is most doable option? Is there one in the area behind the glove box that will provide enough power? Wire description and color would be wonderful!

Only other option is to provide 12V always on power to the radio - and I know I will forget sometime and run the battery down ... I tried this to ensure head unit worked OK and played very well through the Bose amp and speakers.

Good ideas VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK - so, here's the story - perhaps others can benefit, as well.

Crutchfield folks are just way great - not only did the head unit arrive in ONE DAY, their service folks really know their stuff.

W210 in my vint doesn't have a switched 12V available at the opening ... plus, the standard "Volkswagen plug" (universal interface plug that is used to connect radio input to the chassis on a lot of cars) standard pin-out is not per the wiring diagram even Crutchfield provided - but, a couple of phone calls got it all sorted out - very short wait, and two different techs BOTH knew their stuff ....

Red from chassis plugs to yellow on the head unit through the connector interface plug, and the read on the head unit must get power from a switched source. I just picked up a package of the fuze taps recommended by the Crutchfield folks - piggybacks onto fuze #11 with a neat little clip that connects from under the fuze and wraps around the fuze to terminate in a male blade connector - will install tomorrow, but looks pretty simple.

Other interface connector plug issue not covered in their instructions is that the receiver's blue with white feed to the Bose amp connects to the pink connector plug to pin out to the chassis correctly/

I could have constructed it by splicing red from chassis to both red and yellow to head unit, but unit would have had power all the time, requiring manual operation to turn it off after shutting car off.

Hardest part was removing the access cover under the steering column ... while it did eventually release, it remains a mystery why it should be as hard as it was.

So, tomorrow will connect it all up and see how it works - Sony CDX-GT610Ui running through the Bose amp to stock speakers.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
The cig lighter should be switched.

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
CalifSLK said:
The cig lighter should be switched.
yes, all newer models have their cigarrette plug as accessory power. furthermore, some vehicles (e.g. ML/GL/R) have a power port located on the passenger footwell hush panel and that is *usually* set to switched with the accessory circuit. the reason i say usually is that there have been some changes for 07 and the port now is set for constant 12 volts. additionally some vehicles can have the power port set to switched or constant via SDS.

one can always find switched power at the underhood fuse panel. this is easy to reach as the panel is ducted directly into the driver side underdash area with only a small piece of foam wedged in the opening.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,113 Posts
Kind of hard to understand how switching the ignition off turns the radio off if there isn't a wire to the radio that's switched.

Since it has to be connected to the radio, when you remove the radio it should be "in the opening."

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking back a day I should have gone for the wire to the lighter - didn't occur to me as I headed off in the direction of using a fuze tap on the panel end of the dash ... as it turned out, the folks from Crutchfield were wrong as fuze #11 would not work as it is controlled by the headlight switch.

While I considered going to the main underhood fuze box, it actually looked pretty hard, so I pulled a couple of connectors till I found a source that was switched - it was the white connector (there were two clipped onto the steering wheel tube) and had a red wire which appears to be switched - it is powered for a few seconds anytime the doors are opened - and then anytime accessory power is present.

Seems to work OK - wish I had thought of trying the lighter, but I thought they were usually powered all the time ... may swap if I have any issues with the power I found.

As far as operation of the Sony unit through the Bose - sounds MUCH better than stock and the iPod connection is way cool ... haven't tried using a datastick through the USB, yet, though ... great FM sensitivity. You can tell the big issue now though is the speakers!

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
lkchris said:
Kind of hard to understand how switching the ignition off turns the radio off if there isn't a wire to the radio that's switched.

Since it has to be connected to the radio, when you remove the radio it should be "in the opening."
no that is not the case: that is to say there is an ignition signal reaching the radio but its not on a dedicated wire. all new MB radios are attached to the CAN bus which provides all sorts of signals as data frames to the radio. on MB radios you get ignition, lights, dimmer, steering wheel input and text out to the cluster plus a few other inputs. it allows the equivalent of many wires to be multiplexed on just two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts