Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
2,174 Posts
I serviced mercedes for 30 years and never changed any injectors i only found one duff injector and that was in a new set i fitted and that one had a manufacturing fault .The set i just changed in my 30 year old M103 engine were all good after 30 years of use . But i had extra cash and no other jobs outstanding to do on the car before i sell it ,, Runs just the same with the new set that i have fitted . I would give the old ones to cbc if i was closer to him ..along with a new set of seals and o rings the holders dont wear .
Same here. The dealer suspected my smog test failures were the original injectors at 29 years and 180K miles.
They replaced them at a considerable amount of money. It made the smog results even worse (both NOX and HC). So I ended up with a free set of injectors and other parts (cold start valve maybe?). I'm happy...

They thought all the deposits on the ~2000 mile old apark plugs was due to fuel. Wrong! Carbon deposits from all the oil burning.
So the CAT and the O2 sensor was also covered in soot of course.

Those plugs look very similar to how mine were maybe after 4K miles of driving.

This is why I keep trying to find out "how many miles to the quart". That is a dead giveaway, look no further than the oil consumption.....

- Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I serviced mercedes for 30 years and never changed any injectors i only found one duff injector and that was in a new set i fitted and that one had a manufacturing fault .The set i just changed in my 30 year old M103 engine were all good after 30 years of use . But i had extra cash and no other jobs outstanding to do on the car before i sell it ,, Runs just the same with the new set that i have fitted . I would give the old ones to cbc if i was closer to him ..along with a new set of seals and o rings the holders dont wear .
That's not reasonable to assume with ethanol gas and many owners using the lowest grade of said gas. Can they be cleaned and re-patterned, yes. Historically, it was easier just to replace with new, since most places were charging $20 ea to clean injectors.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
☝ One of the reasons I buy the Techron fuel injector cleaner when it's on sale at Costco. It's normally $15, I think, with the coupon it ends up being about $12. For six bottles of Techron that normally sell for $6 each at the parts store.
Empty bottle into as near to empty a fuel tank as possible, completely fill fuel tank with fuel. Engage in the old Italian tuneup. If i'm having running issues; stumbling, jumpy idle, poor fuel economy, etc i'll refill the tank at half, use/ consume that, then repeat the process with a second bottle on the third fillup.

I do it a couple of times a year. I usually split the cost between two other co workers.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I used Techron for yrs....but never got a break on the price from anyone.....always paid through the nose. Good product though.

I've toyed with getting a pop tester/cleaning accessory and doing this myself. Kent offers that, but it's not cheap. I've successfully cleaned mechanical injectors in a ultrasonic cleaner too.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Right again Jayare. Denso T20EP-U's. And yes, probably at least 20K miles on this set of plugs; easily could be 30K. Kevin, how long ago did you sell me these injectors? I has been awhile and bet it was mid 2012; that's when the notes I have on the seals were.

Funny, I ran the Techron last week, 2 bottles, one at a time on half a tank each; traded a pretty cool hat for them; brother in-law shops at Costco and buys them by the case too. And I'm not kidding about the rear seal.

oil.gif

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Right again Jayare. Denso T20EP-U's. And you as well plinker, probably at least 20K miles on this set of plugs. Kevin, how long ago did you sell me these injectors? I has been awhile and bet it was mid 2012; that's when the notes I have on the seals were.

Funny, I ran the Techron last week, 2 bottles, one at a time on half a tank each; traded a pretty cool hat for them; brother in-law shops at Costco and buys them but the case too. And I'm not kidding about the rear seal.

View attachment 2603653
Man, that's been awhile....your records are better than mine. Mechanical injectors are cleanable for sure.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Going by the info in your post #4 cbc atl, you've got between 170k and 200k on your valve guides and stem seals... I'd say the worst problem you have is the rear main. The plugs probably are oil fouled but if you leave the rear main alone and just change plugs more frequently, you might be ahead of the game for the rest of the serviceable life of that motor. If you are up to pulling the trans just to do the rear main, in 50k miles you will also be pulling the head again. It might be a no win situation so changing injectors one at a time might just be the best thing you can do unless you get a lot of energy and decide to tackle all that is wrong. If it were me, I would be looking for another really nice W124 to transition into - one with no leaks and either a trans rebuild or at least a valve job already done on it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks tuttebenne, sounds like a plan. Next time somebody crashes me they may total it anyway. It's been through 3 of those already, two hit and run. Caught one with the license plate number and she got to borrow some new shiny matching bracelets for an hour or two. It was close last time and they made it a contract repair "and not a nickle more". These people around here just can't seem to focus on driving and not hitting anyone.

This thing drives pretty good and it is comfortable even in this Atlanta heat. I should probably post up the over pods I made for the dash. The pods inside the dash are original so they don't work and the evaporator has never been changed out, but it blows out cold air and cools down the cabin, and the overpods point the air in my direction too..

I push the throttle and it goes, and when it's pushed to the floor it goes really good. The plugs used to get changed more often but after the new, well, rebuilt fuel distributor there was nothing indicating a plug change was necessary. So I let them go - thousands and thousands of miles.

I do keep an eye on atlanta craigslist and there is an occasional diamond in the rough. But maybe we'll get lucky, change out a few things here and there. But something tells me that when 3K for a new trans and/or 3K for valve job and then some suspension stuff; still original ball joints...I will be following your plan for another w124.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
No dishonor in jumping ship. I thought I'd have my original TE till I died. I was wrong. Got seduced by a prettier paint color and lower mileage example, albeit I went back with exactly the same car and yr.......which was more or less coincidental.

My ex put a lot of money into an older little Toyota pickup. Her sister totaled it but 'total' to an insurance company on something old is just a crashed bumper and a rippled hood. Now she's got a salvage title and the truck won't sell for anything even remotely close to what she recently put into it. Plus...she's mad at the crummy work that's been done while she drives it. So she's worked herself into a lose/lose scenario and a lesson to us all on these older cars/trucks.

We always seem to start out saying. 'Well, screw the salvage title, I'll just keep it forever.' But unless you have your own personal junkyard space...a time will come when you really don't want the car around and/or something else catches your fancy.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here are the overpods mentioned earlier. For when your original pods just can't anymore; and you don't want to pay someone 2K to take your dash apart. Corrugated plastic yard sign custom cut with duct and monkey tape; wooden wedges on the bottom. Throw them in the trunk in the winter because you will need the defroster directly on the windshield; tested for at least two years, but probably 3. They are light, easy enough to use or get out of the way and seem to be indestructible.

They do a couple of things. When the windows frost up with cold ac air and humidity, well it keeps them from doing that. It directs the cold toward the seats and keeps it from going up the windshield. And they protect the dash from the direct sun. Remember the original pods turn to default position when they don't suck anymore so the air goes through the top dash vents and now these overpods direct the air to a more suitable location.

Maybe we can make a bunch of them and put BenzWorld.ORG on them or something

20190910_074427.jpg

20190910_074342.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
well, our low mileage ugly duckling 260E that had been parked for 15+ years, all 6 injectors needed new seals, and 4 of them had terrible spray patterns, the other two were merely funky. symptoms were stumbling idle, and random stalls upon applying throttle after a stop. new injectors solved thge issue and made it run like new. prior to this I had run a dozen cans of injector cleaner through it, and diagnosed and repaired various other issues, including a funky EHA, and a bad air-flow-meter potentiometer (open circuit), and also had replaced all the consumables in the ignition system.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Changed out # 5 injector today; rubber grommet and cap were supple enough to get off the old one and then onto the new one; not easy though. Took some gentle coaxing with a hammer and some different deep well sockets.

And I connected the fuel pressure gauge to the top half too; system pressure was at 80 psi while running and 40 when not and then 30+ minutes. It could have been as low as 78 and then 37-38 but too close to know for sure if there is even a minor leak, definitely not a major one.

After driving it for a week or two we will know for certain if that is all I have to do. I warmed it up for a few minutes then let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes and it started right away. But it wasn't hot; that's when we will know for sure, when it's hot outside and it's been driven for awhile.

I'll probably put some pressure and thinner through the old injector this week too; start off low and see if it drips. Ok then, testing underway...

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Friend of mine had two dead mechanical gas injectors on a VW convertible. I made a chemical concoction and put them through the ultrasonic cleaner for about an hr. Put back into car and they worked like new.

Kevin

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
10 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing