Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY2K ML430 battery was replaced last night by emergency MB service. I came home to enter the radio code and now it is stuck in WAIT. I noticed on my service receipts that there are two codes listed. I want to try it again, but don't know how to get it back to "enter the code" mode. I tried removing negative cable on the battery to reset it, but it still stuck in WAIT.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I found it myself. You have to put ignition key in position 2 for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Good to know.. Thanks for sharing the info...

AC

·
Registered
11 Posts
One way to avoid having to reset code is to plug a battery charger in the 12V outlet before changing battery and leave it in there until you finish. That way power supply is not interrupted and you just connect the new car battery and unplug the charger when you finish. I did this with my ML320 and nothing had to be reset.

·
Registered
ML320 CDI 2006 SAAB 9-3 Convertible 2004
68 Posts
bluemotev said:
What position does the ignition key have to be in?
Position 2 is the full running position (ie ready to start if the engine is not running).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My radio is stuck on WAIT. I disconnected the battery for an hour and then connected everything. My radio still says WAIT.I have a 1998 ML 320 with a Bose system. Does anyone have any solutions? I am just about ready to rip out the stereo and trash it and replace it with a Kenwood I have in my garage.

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
No don't do that. Read the prior messages...put key in ignition andnturn to position 2 or just turn on the vehicle, go a ride and then request for radio code will come on. Pull over to a safe spot and enter the code.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts
My radio is stuck on WAIT. I disconnected the battery for an hour and then connected everything. My radio still says WAIT.I have a 1998 ML 320 with a Bose system. Does anyone have any solutions? I am just about ready to rip out the stereo and trash it and replace it with a Kenwood I have in my garage.
You obviously do not know that most modern radios are theft deterrent, in that they need a code to be entered before the radio will play again.

Either call any M/B dealer, supply them with your full vin# and ask for the radio code. Or call this number 1-800-535-2122 and do the same.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,293 Posts
You obviously do not know that most modern radios are theft deterrent, in that they need a code to be entered before the radio will play again.
At least the radio can mete out punishment for failure to consult the owner's manual.

Either call any M/B dealer, supply them with your full vin# and ask for the radio code. Or call this number 1-800-535-2122 and do the same.
It's too easy if a thief can pull your radio, snap a photo of your VIN, and make a free call. He could even get your name from the rego in your glovebox.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have the code. That was easy. I went to the dealer and got it. The problem is I have been driving around for a few days now with the radio on and the it continues to say "WAIT". WTF? I understand the safety feature in case of theft, but honestly I don't care about it. Think about it. If they want the radio that bad, they are breaking a window to get it. I just want to listen to music so I don't have to sing to myself and look like a retard. So do I continue to wait for this stupid radio to re set or is there a faster way I can re set it manually? Anyone have any idea?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts
You make no mention of how you entered the code or whether or not you followed the instructions.

Before any code can be entered the screen must display the word CODE. Doing so while the word WAIT appears is incorrect and useless.

The other possibility is the previous owner had the radio replaced and that code does not correspond to code for your vin#.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
You make no mention of how you entered the code or whether or not you followed the instructions.

Before any code can be entered the screen must display the word CODE. Doing so while the word WAIT appears is incorrect and useless.
Will pulling the battery cable for a few minutes allow the radio to reset to "CODE", or is the only way continuous power for "X" hours?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,293 Posts
It's not cumulative. After your drive home switch off engine and turn key back to position 2. Come back in an hour, less if the radio stayed on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I entered the wrong code more than a few times as i was guessing. I know foolish. It use to say CODE, now it is stuck on WAIT. So do I leave the vehicle on for an hour and wait. I hate contaminating the air by idling my vehicle. The radio is original. I know this for a act. I just want the darn thing to read CODE again that this time I can enter the proper code. And yes I understand the directions well on how to enter it. I guess what I am understanding is either take a very long drive or just leave the car on so I do not drain the battery. Am I correct?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,293 Posts
Don't leave the engine running! Just put it in position 2 and switch off the aircon and lights. Your radio and a few dashboard lights won't drain your battery that quickly. It's not as if your subwoofer's pumping out at 11.

Note that some radios get switched off automatically after 20 min. To avoid battery discharge when the ignition's not on. When that happens, you're back at square one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello I have a 1999 benz my ignition will not turn over it has been pulled out wwhile it was in drive my truck still goes into drive nd park and all that my steering wheel is locked do anyone have any ideas what I should do or how to get it fix quickly I also just replaced the battery and my radio said code I don't have a code the guy never gave me one or brought it up so I typed a number and all it does now is say wait any ides I need HELP!!!

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,940 Posts
Huh???
The ignition will not work???? AND the radio is stuck on WAIT mode?

How old is the battery and when is the last time this ML was driven with no electrical problems?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,736 Posts
Can you explain each problem separately
If you put to many wrong codes into the radio you have to wait a while before you try again. Don't keep trying until you get the correct code.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts