Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just received my repair quote from MB for almost $10,000 :surrender: to do the following:
-Replace throttle valve
-Replace engine wiring harness
-Replace engine mountings

Not to mention they replaced my spark plugs for $500 and needless to say it didnt fix the problem. I guess being a girl with no idea on these things comes at a price.

The issues i'm having with my 1999 SLK230 are:

-Loss of power (particularly on highway which is ridiculously dangerous)
-Uncontrollable vibration of car
-Misfire each & every time i turn on car

To fix the prob temporarily I simply turn the car off & on again and it seems to work for a few km's give or take.

So, I've done a little bit of research and spoken to a few people and it seems to me this price is a joke.

Any ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated,

AK :p

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Best laugh I have ever had:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Did they give you the diagnostic codes from the car? These are the first step to diagnosing the problem. Your quote is very extremes (and not the slightest bit amusing) $500 for spark plugs is a bit much, but they are an expensive item for this car, if needed.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
I agree with the other comments. If there's another M-B dealer in your area, try that. Otherwise, I think it's time to get a second opinion from an independent M-B repair shop.

Worn engine/transmission mounts could definitely account for vibration. You can check this by getting the car up to 40+ mph and then put it in neutral with your foot off the accelerator. If the vibration vanishes, then you probably do need engine/transmission mounts. If it continues, then you've got wheel/suspension problems.

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
slk230 8 plugs? 12$ each totals 96$ give a indy mech 200$ (2 hrs labor ) and your qoute is still sky high. engine mounts cost 100$ off ebay and take another 2 hrs labor to install. t/b costs 150$ again off ebay fully rebuilt and 30 min to install. engine harness rewire???? no way. run as fast as you can to your local independent mechanic!

ship ypour car to me and ill fix it for 5000$ and you save and i make out like a bandit!!

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes 230 SLK
351 Posts
Hi all,

I just received my repair quote from MB for almost $10,000 :surrender: to do the following:
-Replace throttle valve
-Replace engine wiring harness
-Replace engine mountings

Not to mention they replaced my spark plugs for $500 and needless to say it didnt fix the problem. I guess being a girl with no idea on these things comes at a price.

The issues i'm having with my 1999 SLK230 are:

-Loss of power (particularly on highway which is ridiculously dangerous)
-Uncontrollable vibration of car
-Misfire each & every time i turn on car

To fix the prob temporarily I simply turn the car off & on again and it seems to work for a few km's give or take.

So, I've done a little bit of research and spoken to a few people and it seems to me this price is a joke.

Any ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated,

AK :p
I am guessing you only bought the car very recently - were any of these issues apparent at sale, or disclosed by the seller?
OEM spark plugs are about $20 a piece and fairly easy to swap on this engine (I have done that myself, in about 15 min), so $500 is a joke, even with labor, tax included.
Re vibration: replacing worn engine mounts is about $120 a piece, 2 are needed at most. There is obviously a bit more time required for that repair but it shouldn't be more than $2000.
Now, the expensive part, and I am assuming that at least the dealer's diagnosis is about right: the dealer's intent on swapping the wiring harness may point to a well-known and very expensive problem to fix on all M111 engines (e.g., 230K): oil leaks from the cam adjuster (is located on the front of the engine head, under that silverish plastic cover) into the entire wiring harness. A new harness is about $700. A new cam adjuster will set you $400-500 back. Again, labor will be highest cost item, at least $2000. There may be multiple error codes (or even none) depending on whether the engine computer is also malfunctioning as a result of oil seepage which would set you another 2000 back, plus labor.
The "throttle valve" is about $350 but rel. rarely fails. The error code would be P0803. It is quite possible that, if above is going on, the electronic management of the valve is malfunctioning, and can be remedied by replacing the harness and cleaning the electric contacts or replacing the fuses in the engine computer box.
I suggest that you go to at least one other dealership or an independent garage to verify the diagnosis of the latter two issues ie., visual inspection of the cam shaft magnet seal and the wiring leading from it, and equally important, of the fuses in the engine computer (K9, K40).
Lastly, the mass air sensor may be cause for some of these issues too. They wear over time especially when exposed to engine oil. I would keep this one in mind in case repair of the above doesn't cure all the driveability symptoms.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
That is a rip-off. They probably want to sell you a new car. For $10,000 you can now buy a 2001/2002 SLK320 in good condition.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Now, the expensive part, and I am assuming that at least the dealer's diagnosis is about right: the dealer's intent on swapping the wiring harness may point to a well-known and very expensive problem to fix on all M111 engines (e.g., 230K): oil leaks from the cam adjuster (is located on the front of the engine head, under that silverish plastic cover) into the entire wiring harness. A new harness is about $700. A new cam adjuster will set you $400-500 back. Again, labor will be highest cost item, at least $2000. There may be multiple error codes (or even none) depending on whether the engine computer is also malfunctioning as a result of oil seepage which would set you another 2000 back, plus labor.
If the failed wiring harness turns out to've been damaged by a leaking cam plug, I wonder if replacement would be covered under this cam plug recall?

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
SLK_AK: I don't know which SLK you've got, but you should read/print this post (which references a damaged wiring harness that was replaced as part of the cam plug recall) and give a copy to your dealer.

·
Registered
1998 230 slk
109 Posts
If you pay me $10,000, I will do everything the dealer suggest plus:

Put four new shocks on your car
change out your o2 sensors
oil change and filter
new waterpump and antifreeze
all new hoses and belts
oil seperator and hoses
fuel filter
front and rear pads and rotors and sensors
wash and hand wax
a full tank of premium gas.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 manual, original owner
227 Posts
SLK_AK said hers is a 1999. Earlier posts indicate that recall is for 2001-2004. Can't hurt to check, though - may have been broadened to include additional years.

--Larry

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
slk230 8 plugs? 12$ each totals 96$
SLK230 only have 4 plugs. ;) Unless your are using dealer arithmetic.

The OEM style plugs costs $1.61 at AutohouseAZ, so that is $6.44, leaving $493.56 for labor!!! :eek: That means it took them about 1 hour per plug!!

Time to change your dealer, since even non-mechanics can do 4 plugs in less than 30 minutes - probably less than 15 minutes if you are a skilled amateur.

The dealers seem to love to charge $500 for changing plugs. Even for the 320 V6 with 12 plugs, they charge the same ridiculous amount. :mad:

But I guess the moral of the story is, if you cannot DIY, then you probably should not buy a MB out of warranty. If you can DIY, then a used MB is a good buy, since horror stories like this helps to keep them affordable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts