Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center armrest / console cover and the black sliding cover that is by the ashtray are locked. I didn't do anything to lock them [on purpose]. A couple of things that might help to know:

* I did leave the lights on while at dinner last night and the battery died and it required a jump.

*It is a European model SL, if that makes a difference.

What's the trick to opening them???

My cell phone is in there and I can't go on living without it!

Thanks in advance.

RT

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,231 Posts
Try turning your key in the lock next to climate control wheels center of dash, this locks and unlocks the console box

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh.............that's what that's for.

It console actually unlocked when I unlocked the driver's door this time.

I guess it trips the lock when the battery dies or is jumped [?]

Thanks for the quick help.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,231 Posts
I would think hard and long before jump-starting your car again. I have even put a label on my battery "under no circumstances jump this car" after viewing the damage done to an s class whilst waiting for my last service.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,890 Posts
wayneg said:
I would think hard and long before jump-starting your car again. I have even put a label on my battery "under no circumstances jump this car" after viewing the damage done to an s class whilst waiting for my last service.
What causes the damage when jump starting?
As long as the donor battery is connected with the correct polarity it's still a total of 12 volts after all.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am no Auto electrician so can only comment on advise and what I have seen and read. Most recently whilst getting my car serviced a couple of weeks ago I was speaking to the resident electrician, Mercs Only, who was working on a s class which had been jump started causing all manor of fault to ecus, one something to do with the radio aerial they were trying to talk the owner out of getting it fixed as it was so difficult and expensive to fix just for a radio signal. I asked about my car being jumped as next week its going in a container for 6 to 8 weeks and he and the owner of the garage were adamant that jump starting ANY modern Merc is seriously asking for expensive trouble and advised me to label the battery and enclose with the shipping docs UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES JUMP START THIS VEHICLE. They say they keep busy with electrical problems caused by jumping.
Right or wrong I am not taking the risk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts