Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, MB says there is a tool that you need. Using a generic pulley puller is going to bend the pulley. Everything is designed such that you have to have the pulley off the pump to get the pump off the engine. At least I have the engine out of the car, so access is easy.

Can someone tell me the "trick" or do I really need a special tool to get the pulley off. I have the nut off.

I think this question applies to lots of older MBs, but in particular cars with M130 engines...

Help Please???
thanks
Scott Allen

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
If it's like mine, you really do need the special tool, unless you have access to a machne shop and can or have someone that can fabricate a replica. There's a groove around the center of the pulley that the tool has to fit into so the screw can work against it to the shaft.

Of course, the tools commonly available for rent at various auto parts won't work. Maybe you could talk to an Indy shop and borrow/rent one.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's like mine, you really do need the special tool, unless you have access to a machne shop and can or have someone that can fabricate a replica. There's a groove around the center of the pulley that the tool has to fit into so the screw can work against it to the shaft.

Of course, the tools commonly available for rent at various auto parts won't work. Maybe you could talk to an Indy shop and borrow/rent one.
thanks, I'll see if I can get my local mechanic to loan me the tool...
Scott

·
Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
I was able to get mine off without the tool using heat on the pulley center and judicious taps with a hammer to the back. Wasn't worried about the shaft seal because I was rebuilding it anyway.

Worth a try, I suppose, but be careful not to mess-up the pulley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts