Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 230 SLK
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Everyone.
I am trying to preppier myself for a repair project on my power steering gear box. I just have a few ??? for you to help me out on my project.
Here is the picture.
What is the 1st screw do? In order to remove the power steering gear box, out of the car; What do I need to remove: 1st screw or the 2nd screw? Also the box is connected with 3 bolts on to the Left frame wall. I know how to remove that. I am not sure on how to remove the control arm bolt, because the other end of that screw is unclear, and the spring is made out of super hard steel. Do I need a special tool to remove that? What kind?
if you can, Please help me out with this project.
Thank you in advance.

Dr. Mers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
First screw and second screw are set screws on the shaft.
You can remove either and it will slide off but #2 has to be removed to install the new pump on the shaft.

The ring on the splined "control arm" is a snap ring.
Use snap ring pliers to get that off.
Most auto parts stores have them for around $10.00.

loosen the bolt on the "control arm" and gently pry open the gap below the bolt to spread open the pressure ring and the arm will slide off of the splined shaft.
If you can not open the gap a little use a gear puller to get the "control arm" off.

Remove the bolts on the frame rail and it will come out.

It looks a bit crusty, soaking all of the bolts and the spline shaft overnight with a spray on bolt loosener will help greatly.
Spray it on the day before you start and before you go to bed, it will soak the crud and rust to help loosen the bolts.

·
Registered
98 230 SLK
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your tips! Any more suggestions on tools or experiences? AMPM thank you so much!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts