Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It’s half midnight here but tomorrow I will take a photo but I am sure you are on the money and I will be on that in my morning. Thank you so so much

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
1,070 Posts
That reservoir should have a dipstick/cap. That's where you add fluid. Take another picture of SLS/PS reservoir.
What’s the dipstick for? The the high and low marks on the reservoir are very clear to see.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon/estate/touring 197K miles

·
Registered
E320 1998
6 Posts
I have the fluid, the beast is leaking somewhere albeit slowly but now it’s so bad it’s grinding, I think I now know thanks to this forum where to fill but the cap will not screw off. Help help help. Please View attachment 2638571
Push down hard on oil cap, turn anti clockwise until it stops and then lift it out. The grinding noise indicates there is no oil in the system, continual use without oil will wreck your power steering.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,085 Posts
Check your car for weird location for oil leaks. I had a fitting leak right where the back rim ends. For some reason it leaked 10 years later. The pipe coming from the Accumulator I guess got loose, but check the shocks for leaks, and rust at the bottom if each accumulator. Check the steel fittings at the leveling valve(they rust bad in those cold weather locations). Crawl under the car and look at the two hydraulic lines going to the rack-n-pinion. When you lose the fluid and get the growling power steering. Do not drive the car too much as you will eat up the pump. The fluid used is rare hydraulic fluid, but in a pinch you can put 722.6 fluid and it will work, but the system will be need to be flushed out, but it does work very well as it happened to me a month a go, and I walked into a Walmart Super Center and bought some Valvoline MAX-LIFE ATF fluid....

I can see you have no fluid, so you have a leak, and your resevour is empty

862DC6E0-CEE7-4F8C-8DE1-396F51E436A3.jpeg

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,846 Posts
Yes , on many other types of cars ,,power steering fluid and auto trans fluid are actually the same thing...

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,010 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use any other fluid other than the specified one in this system unless it's a dire emergency. If you do, flush it out complete as Mava stated afterward.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts