Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused: Can't remember where I seen it or the name of item. I'm looking for the piece that fit inside the rim to minimize dust maybe it's called a dust cover that fit inside the rims. Help on correct name and were I can purchase. Thanks in advance for any info on this..:bowdown:

DISREGARD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, after reading several posts on topic that was the conclusion I came to, upgrade pads. Again Thanks I'm on the right track now!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
In deciding to get different brake pads, keep the following in mind. First, brake pads that are "harder" (called lifetime etc) can be harder on the rotors. Also, the dust covers keep the heat from venting out. This is no help to the brakes. I would go with the mercedes brake pads or check out autohausaz and see what they have.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Agreeing with Michael here. MB OE brakes are about as good as they get, and I'm willing to live with the brake dust. I have found a couple of wheel cleaners that work well too, the kind you just spray on before washing the rest of the car, and hose off after a few minutes. Sometimes I have to use a paper towel or brush too, but if you don't let the dust build up, it comes off pretty easily.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I believe some places sell some type of special wax for the wheel to keep from brake dust building up.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
AsianML is correct too, but I don't know what it's called or who makes it (Griot's Garage would be a good place to check). However, it seems to me that any wax would repel dust better than nothing and I don't see how wax could hurt any of the MB alloy wheels.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
AsianML is correct too, but I don't know what it's called or who makes it (Griot's Garage would be a good place to check). However, it seems to me that any wax would repel dust better than nothing and I don't see how wax could hurt any of the MB alloy wheels.
Hmm, I remembered a thread about brake dust and a couple of posts about wheel waxes on MBWorld just now.

Post 29 and 35:
Squeaky Brakes & Brake Dust - - MBWorld.org Forums

It looks like it doesn't work as well as one would think.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Hmm, I remembered a thread about brake dust and a couple of posts about wheel waxes on MBWorld just now. It looks like it doesn't work as well as one would think.
Thank you AsianML, I couldn't remember where I saw that. I still say the key to the dust issue is to not let it build up too much in the first place. Weather permitting, I wash mine weekly and it's really no trouble to get it off.

In my experience, the "spray on rinse off" cleaners will not clean them completely, but it loosens it to the point that it wipes right off. I usually use the paper towels that are already wet after drying the insides of the doors just to get a little more mileage out of what would otherwise be thrown away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts