1991 300 SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 300se 76k miles- ideas?

Thanks Guys this is my first post, I just bought car and joined site:
  • Replacing the head gasket because coolant leak on back end cylinder 6
  • Per the picture a bit of the block has a divit because of corrosion
  • Worried that the new gasket might not seal because of this - see picture
  • Is there anything I can do to fill in that spot before putting head back on to ensure it seals?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
I suggest you replace the block, it's beyond repair - entire engines can be found for relatively little money

There are probably many other spots that are not visible, and just as bad, or worse.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the quick thoughts - I hear you but can’t afford to put more into this car- I’ll drive it maybe 300 miles per month - Although suboptimal for sure, I was hoping to get some recommendations on a work around that may at least be worth a try before putting new gasket and head back on-

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
Thx for the quick thoughts - I hear you but can’t afford to put more into this car- I’ll drive it maybe 300 miles per month - Although suboptimal for sure, I was hoping to get some recommendations on a work around that may at least be worth a try before putting new gasket and head back on-
You would need to get the block "decked", but that may introduce other issues.

Take a look on eBay, in Europe you can find complete engine for a "song".

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
537 Posts
That will not seal for sure, how the hell 76K miles ended up with this amount of corrosion ?? did the previous owner put water from the sewer line instead of coolant ?

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,263 Posts
You need to remove the old gasket and then take some pictures. That picture is not really telling the story. They always look nasty before you remove the old gasket.
Here is mine before and after I cleaned it and block sanded the bottom end a couple years back.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
971 Posts
1991 300se 76k miles- ideas?

Thanks Guys this is my first post, I just bought car and joined site:
  • Replacing the head gasket because coolant leak on back end cylinder 6
  • Per the picture a bit of the block has a divit because of corrosion
  • Worried that the new gasket might not seal because of this - see picture
  • Is there anything I can do to fill in that spot before putting head back on to ensure it seals?
Thank you
I don’t know how you can access it without removing the head gasket.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
412 Posts
You need to remove the old gasket and then take some pictures. That picture is not really telling the story. They always look nasty before you remove the old gasket.
Here is mine before and after I cleaned it and block sanded the bottom end a couple years back. View attachment 2607387 View attachment 2607388
When you cleaned the top of the block where the pistons/cylinders are, did you use a shop vac to suck any debris that may have fallen into the crevices between the tops of the pistons and cylinders?

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,263 Posts
When you cleaned the top of the block where the pistons/cylinders are, did you use a shop vac to suck any debris that may have fallen into the crevices between the tops of the pistons and cylinders?
When I sanded the block all the holes were plugged carefully and the cylinders also had rags in them. When I cleaned off the pistons I shimmied a thick paper/cardboard between the cylinder walls and the piston tops. After cleaning I used a strong vacuum cleaner to suck what ever dust could have gotten past the paper. Honestly sanding and cleaning was most of the work with the cylinder head.
Resetting the timing was a bit problematic too as I had not done that before. Second time would be easier of course. Maybe in another 100K miles????

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,035 Posts
Hey Jason, as a fellow Sarasota resident, let me first say welcome to this forum. I've been a member here for a few years. And I had to do more work on my R129's than most people ever will. This place was/is invaluable. My suggestion is as suggested above: start by cleaning the gasket and see what really is going on.

I too, drive my '89 300SE less than 4,000 miles/year. And mine is a slow restoration project on a shoe-string budget. You ever want some local help, or suggestions on local places to find parts, DM me. I'll send you my cell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts