Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Actually: S202/R129/C126/ 2W124/S124/ C124/A124/C123/ 2W201/W115/W108
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I've purchased a Panorama roof of an SL 500'97 in E-bay, and i will go on Thursday to Germany to get it with my 90's 500 SL, could be any major problem to install it directly? I don't care if it's not perfectly sealed for the rain, cause I think that the rubber seals are not the same, all I want to know is if I can put on my car to tranport it to Spain.[:p][8]

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
pano top

Hey chiche, this is lewis, i emailed you a pic of my red 300sl a few weeks ago. as long as the the latch points are the same you should be ok. I am not sure if there were any small changes made between those years. If the top will not latch you will see the red top button continue to flash & a buzzer will soud everytime the car rolls in a forward motion (just as it would if the hard top is not latched correctly.

I hope it works out for you, I think those tops are great, I just don't want to spend that much for one.

·
Registered
R129SL
28 Posts
From what I’ve read the Panorama hardtops are specially designed to work with a modified v...

From what I’ve read the Panorama hardtops are specially designed to work with a modified version of the hydraulic latch mechanism. Alignment for attaching the steel hardtop is different for SL prior to 95 that those manufactured from 95 and forward.

Even Mercedes makes a disclaimer that Panorama hardtops can only be used in SL bodies designated for Panorama roof.

Hope you will not have a problem with incompatible hydraulic latch points.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the story

Hi! I will go to explain what is the situation of my glass roof.
I've winned an aution on Ebay Germany and I went to Germany to take it, THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE HYDRAULIC LATCH POINTS, IT FITS PERFECTLY.
The only thing wrong is that when you run trere's a litte bit of wind noise in front of passenger seat and I don't test it in rain, but in my garden I try to wash the car, but I can't with the glass roof, cause in the left corner (just above the lights switch) enters a bit of Water.
I've read in another auction that there's a Rubber retrofit kit for the models previous of 1997.
My Benz dealer submit a request of this rubber, but Today I have a bad notice, THIS RUBBER COSTS 800 $!!!! INCREDIBLE!!! The Parts guy of my dealer has called me Shocked by this price!

I Don't know what to do, I'll inform you in the following days, cause we are looking for another options...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FINALLY SOLVED!

Ok Guys, I've the Absolute True. Don't listen the Benz dealers!

Ok, I've winned an auction on eBay for one used rubber of a normal '91 Hardtop, even that 3 benz dealers said me that I can't install the Panorama Roof in my '90 model, even that they told me that this normal hardtop rubber can't be installed in a Panorama Roof, even that first One of the dealers tell me that it was a rubber specially designed for the pano roof to install at early years model (that costs 800$) and after they said me that don't exists, even that in the 3 official dealers tell me that they won't to install this old rubber,

My regular mechanic has installed this old rubber, that costs me 60 $ and the Pano roof fits perfecly, with less wind noise at high speed that with the regular hartop and without any water leak in all the roof.

So, please, don't trust at your official dealers with this kind of problems. They don't look further than the screen of his computer!

·
Registered
mb sl 500
6 Posts
charles you're right!
i bought a black panorama top and it fitts on my 1996 sl,no problem at all.
i drove to the seller without a top and drove back with the panotop!
dealer said it would not fit! proved him wrong!
pietida[:)]

·
Registered
1998 MB SL500 AMG SPORT SILVER, mercedes E63 AMG1991 CADILLAC ALLANTE PEARL WTE
8 Posts
Panoroma compatibility issues

COuld you tell me if tops were between two different years or same year
for example trying to put 1997 into 2000 or revese etc
I have put another question on this site and I am trying to put 2002 year silver arrow top to my 98 SL500 wonder if this will fit
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts