Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently bought a 1984 380SL and she has been kept away from the roads for a few years so needed a bit of work (break pads, rotors, front grille, tires, distributor, full service, fuses, 2 new fans radiator fans, radiator...etc)

The car runs fine but it recently stopped running and the car just wont start when you turn the key. I thought it was the battery so i changed it but few weeks later the same thing happened so now i am guessing it is the alternator? If so, how can i change that myself? any help will be appreciated here :)

The other problem i have is the car heats up if i drive it more than 15 - 20 minutes and specially if i push it a little and mostly when the A/C is on. What could be causing that heating up when i have new fans and a new radiator?

The last time i took the car to the mechanic, it felt a little lazy when i got it back so i think they messed with the gear changing setup because the car changes gear very quickly now and wont go back a gear if you kick down which could be related to the car heating up? Dont know much about technical stuff so please excuse my ignorance

Thank you in advance and any help will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
if you replaced the battery because it was dead and the new battery is also now dicharged then yes you probably have an alternator issue. Get the new bttery charged and drive the car to any auto supply adn they can test the alternator on th car and tell you if it is bad.

As far as the car getting hot, how hot is it getting? these cars temps will climb in traffic and your situation may not be out of the ordinary

·
Registered
1984 380SL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it climbs up to a 100 or a 110 sometimes which is when i panic and put the A/C off and sweat like crazy because outside temperature is around 45c here in Dubai.. This cant be normal, can it?

·
Registered
1984 500SL 000760
509 Posts
Well it climbs up to a 100 or a 110 sometimes which is when i panic and put the A/C off and sweat like crazy because outside temperature is around 45c here in Dubai.. This cant be normal, can it?

I think normal is about 90-100 when running hot. Maybe your water pump s snot flowing correctly, if has been sitting along time the impellor on the pump may be damaged from corrossion, does it have green or pink anti freeze in the engine? Aluminum engines need the pink stuff, green will not stop corrossion.

·
Registered
1982 380SL/1955 Austin A30/2014 VW Beetle convertible/2005 Honda CRV/1964 Mobylette moped
96 Posts
I say this with all respect - I'm not sure any 30 y/o engine is equipped to handle temperatures over 110 degrees F, especially with the air conditioning on (but how could you handle 110 F without a/c?).

·
Registered
1984 380SL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say this with all respect - I'm not sure any 30 y/o engine is equipped to handle temperatures over 110 degrees F, especially with the air conditioning on (but how could you handle 110 F without a/c?).
You could be right!! Well you can if you dont want to blow up the engine of your new baby hehe..

I ordered Chilton repair manual for my car to hopefully do some of the things myself.. Is that any good? Of not, what do you recommend for someone who knows very little about mechanical parts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
564 Posts
I dunno, we easily get to that heat with the heat index down here and mine doesn't over heat. It's get a little warmer if I'm stuck in traffic (and it's tourist season, so I'm always stuck in traffic), but it always stabilizes well short of overheating.

No A/C here though, and the way you deal with it is by sweating profusely lol.

edit: I have a 560SL, I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol VicSkimmr.. Mine heats up to 100 - 110 even when im doing 60 miles on a highway.. I can feel its not good but ill take it to a professional mechanic and get it checked :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts