Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get my hardtop center post to release. I just purchased the '89 560 SL and this is my first time to try to removet top so it could be me. However I think the safety catch on center post in rear is not releasing. Is there anyway to release it manually?<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This can happen if the release cable is stretched. Release the 4 other attachment points and get someone to lift/support the hardtop on either side of the rear center catch. Release the catch mechanism using the release handle then crawl into the rear 'seat' area. Slide a flat-blade screwdriver with a long, narrow blade into the hole where the post on the hardtop enters the catch, sliding the blade down the left side of the post. This should release the catch.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's also possible to go through the trunk partition. Not only is it possible for the cable to stretch, there are no lubrication guidelines in the preventitive maintenance procedures. I put a drop or two of good ol' 3 in 1 oil on all of the moving parts and then operate the releases a few times so that the oil can penetrate. The same holds true for the seat rails - may want to put a very light coat of grease on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts