Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mitsubishi eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i'm new here and i need your help.. i currently own a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse GT totally fixed up and its hella fast and i also own a 93 jeep wrangler as my summer car.

well i'm planning on selling the eclipse and my neighbor (really old guy about 85) has a 1991 300SL in his garage and wants to sell it.. i'm thinking about buying it.

right now i'm affiliated with other forums for my eclipse so i know how helpful and knowlegde full you guys can be..

please help me. here are some q's i have:

is a 1991 300 sl a good car? or is it too old?

are there any major problems with the 91's?

is there anything i should watch out for?

can i sup up it up (body kit, amg or anything like that)?

is there a difference between sl300 and 300sl?

and last of all is this a good deal:

1991 300SL with 55k miles, black on black, hard top and convertible for $20k

thank you in advance for your help

PJ

ohh yeah last q's. i'm only 19 years old and am in my second year in college.. is this a good car for me or should i consider another car?

and are parts and service expensive for a 91 300sl.. i dont wanna buy the car and if something goes wrong have to dish our $$ for it.. main part in asking this q is because i have been told that older mb parts are a lot more expensive than lets say my eclipse parts.

thank you

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Interesting situation.
A Mercedes-Benz is never "too old" if properly taken care of. Espe...

Interesting situation.
A Mercedes-Benz is never "too old" if properly taken care of. Especially the SL. I know the 91 model to be extremely reliable and has adequate power. A 500 would be your best bet for such a heavy car. The 300SL came out in 1989. For 1994 it became SL320 and got just a bit more power.
Make sure that it is in good condition because even good cars can become rotten through abuse. With the SL, if something goes wrong and you want to fix it you will spending lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Ask your neighbor what kind of drving he does mostly. City or highway. Highway gives the car a stronger life. Consider insurance, too. I think it would be a secure purchase if the car meets these guidelines that I made up:

- soft top works, up to down in about 30secs
- mostly highway driving
- roll bar works

·
Registered
mitsubishi eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. any more info from anyone would be great..

also what did you mean...

thanks for the info. any more info from anyone would be great..

also what did you mean by "Consider insurance, too." do you mean the state required insureance or does MB have there own insurance?

PJ

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Insurance for an SL can be very expensive and even more expensive at certain ages and citi...

Insurance for an SL can be very expensive and even more expensive at certain ages and cities.
Some insurance companies will not insure an SL under some circumstances.

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
Insurance

I think insurance for an SL is more of a matter of your driving record. I had a 760 Turbo Volvo prior to my 94 SL, and there wasn't much difference in the insurance between the two cars.

My only comment about owning an SL at 19, is that if something was to go wrong with the car it can/will be expensive. (Not to say that they will... just something to keep in mind.)

·
Registered
mitsubishi eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys think that the price and car are a good deal??

you guys think that the price and car are a good deal??

·
Registered
91 560 SEC, 95 S600
62 Posts
Probably a little high. The 129 cars have dropped like a rock since the new body style ...

Probably a little high. The 129 cars have dropped like a rock since the new body style is here. 15k is more realistic

·
Registered
mitsubishi eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any more help.. time is running short.. i'm gonna buy the car soon :)...

any more help.. time is running short.. i'm gonna buy the car soon :)

·
Registered
mitsubishi eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the guy says 18k is the lowest he will go. what should i do??

PJ

the guy says 18k is the lowest he will go. what should i do??

PJ

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Tell the guy that your friend (me) is offering $25K for a 94 SL500 so why should a 90 300S...

Tell the guy that your friend (me) is offering $25K for a 94 SL500 so why should a 90 300SL cost as much as a newer and more powerful example? Tell him that a good condition 94 SL500 is $25K, therefore a 90 SL500 is around $20K. That makes the 90 300SL less than $18K... more like 16 or 17.

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
You're living in California... so the car costs and is worth more than alot of areas. The ...

You're living in California... so the car costs and is worth more than alot of areas. The Kelley Blue Book trade-in is $15-16K for your area. For a private sale, they say $20K is reasonable. If you can get it for 18K... I'd do it. (Especially with 55K miles.)

BTW... the wholesale price for a 94 SL500 in your area is $24.5K and the private sale price is $31K. (If the guy is a neighbor and drives an SL, he's not a dummy.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts