Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello can somebody help me find out whats wrong with my 2002 cl500 it runs perfect no noises at all and has a new h pump, but today i felt and a noise coming from the stering wheel kinda like a vibration but smooth noisy though and got worse at the end of the day so its progressing (could it be that it needs hydraulic fluid?) its only when i turn the string wheel clockwise (right) and going very slow or not moving, please somebody help me figure out what this noise is ???

i really really appreciate all responses and help.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i havent i just bought the car and i am not so familiar with it, how do i check the fluid level ?

thank you for your help in advance

·
52,804 Posts
This picture should help.

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
Fluid type;

MB345.0 Hydraulic fluid.

Part # A001 989 2403

Pentosin CHF 11S Hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it did now i have a clear idea of where it is, so i just take the cap off and visually check it right ?

if it needs the fluid how and where do i pour each fluid i saw 2 of them on the list of parts you send me.

thank you very very much erick i apreciate your time.

·
52,804 Posts
yes it did now i have a clear idea of where it is, so i just take the cap off and visually check it right ?

if it needs the fluid how and where do i pour each fluid i saw 2 of them on the list of parts you send me.

thank you very very much erick i apreciate your time.
Lift the top and there should be a dipstick attached, reading this is self explanatory. If it needs fluid use a funnel to pour it in via the dipstick hole. The little trick my techs use is to pour the fluid very slowly onto the dipstick and it will run down the stick and into the reservoir .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it thank you, i am just confused which one is which there are 2 there is a bigger one sitting higher than the smaller one that is a bit deeper in?

thank you a lot for your help and time.

·
52,804 Posts
got it thank you, i am just confused which one is which there are 2 there is a bigger one sitting higher than the smaller one that is a bit deeper in?

thank you a lot for your help and time.
The bigger one is for the ABC Active Body Control and the smaller one is for the power steering, both should be checked for level as they use the same fluid and share the same pump so if one is low then the other may well be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok checked both and the big one is full, but the little one was hard to tell because from one side it looked like it had like half but from the side that looks like sand paper on the stick thing it was dry i did it 3 times and same.

u think i have a leak ?

how can i fix this ?

thank you in advance for your guidance.

·
52,804 Posts
ok checked both and the big one is full, but the little one was hard to tell because from one side it looked like it had like half but from the side that looks like sand paper on the stick thing it was dry i did it 3 times and same.

u think i have a leak ?

how can i fix this ?

thank you in advance for your guidance.
Pics would help at this stage so I can understand you better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ill try to take some pics, i just never done it before.

what i was telling you is that the small oel (rubber) dipstick for the ps has 2 sides on one side says mercedes benz and on the other side is where the measuring lines are it has a rougher texture its not shiny, this side of the measuring oel stick was dry just the tip had fluid.

ill take the pics and try to post them asap

thanks again

·
52,804 Posts

what i was telling you is that the small oel (rubber) dipstick for the ps has 2 sides on one side says mercedes benz and on the other side is where the measuring lines are it has a rougher texture its not shiny, this side of the measuring oel stick was dry just the tip had fluid.

thanks again
Lets wait for the pics as this will help others who read this thread trying to fix a similar problem. And real time pics are not available in WIS, only in the classroom.

·
52,804 Posts

thanks again
Got ya does this side of the dipstick look like XXX ? if so you need to add fluid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes it does look like that, i just took it to benz and it was empty they filled it up for me for free, but the noise is still there much less though but it isn't gone completely and i can still feel a bit of friction in the steering wheel when turning to the right slowly or not moving.
does it take some time for the car to absorb the new(ps)fluid ?

thank you, i appreciate your help.

·
52,804 Posts
Give it some time and pray. The duo pump for the ABC is an expensive unit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is the The duo pump for the ABC ? i just replaced a pump the tandem is it related ?

thank you for your help again lol

·
52,804 Posts
what is the The duo pump for the ABC ? i just replaced a pump the tandem is it related ?

thank you for your help again lol
I believe we are discussing the same pump, it operates both steering and ABC and I would be straight back to them with this problem, I would also like to know where the steering fluid went.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i just bought the car like a week a go the seller changed the pump in may 2011 in mercedes benz of coral gables he gave me all the reports for the warranty purposes, i live in west palm beach do you think the warranty is valid in my local mercedes benz of palm beach ?

the fluid that they put today went in the ps reservoir (the small one located lower inside)( orangeish color), the abc reservoir was full (green color liquid)

i think i might have a problem with the ball joints too they a re squeeking scince today could that be ralted ? because other than that the car passed the 5 point satr benz inspection

i really appreciate your help thank you !

·
52,804 Posts
well i just bought the car like a week a go the seller changed the pump in may 2011 in mercedes benz of coral gables he gave me all the reports for the warranty purposes, i live in west palm beach do you think the warranty is valid in my local mercedes benz of palm beach ?

the fluid that they put today went in the ps reservoir (the small one located lower inside)( orangeish color), the abc reservoir was full (green color liquid)

i think i might have a problem with the ball joints too they a re squeeking scince today could that be ralted ? because other than that the car passed the 5 point satr benz inspection

i really appreciate your help thank you !
You really must talk to your local dealer, at the very least have a chat with the service manager. I do not know what fluid they put in the ps but it should have been green too.

The Main ABC pipe has been modified as the old ones tend to burst, so I would ask the dealer to do a proper inspection of all the pipes/pump/steering and front suspension parts.

It is not uncommon for these pumps to fail in less than a year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts