Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a mid-sized luxury sedan .

I wanted to buy the c class, but from what I hear is that this model is in the end of its lifetime. I believe it was released in 2007->2011 thats 5 years , the guy at the dealership said they made a face lift for another 3 years. 2012 is almost over (or it will be by the time my car gets here, 4 months for it to arrive after order) .

That means if I buy the C class I will have it for about 1.8 years with it before they release the 2015 models. I plan to keep my car for at least 5 years and up to 7 years.

Basically, I will have it as the current model for less than 2 years and for about 4-5 years as the "old" model.

What do you think? is it a good time to buy?

For this sole reason I am looking into the a5 which is a newer release and will last longer on the market.

btw. What is the difference between the luxury and Sports sedan models? Just horsepower or does the driving experience gets stiff?

·
Registered
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, HFS, Palladium Silver
158 Posts
Sport and Luxury have the same horsepower. Sport is 0.6" lower with firmer suspensions. I test drove the two on a different days about two weeks apart, and found very little difference. There are a few interior cosmetic difference.

If newer version has only changes in how it looks and you like it, the newer the better, market value is higher. If it involves some mechanical, functional change, then I will not buy any first year car with potential bugs. I keep my cars as long as they are still driveable so market value and depreciation is not an issue.

·
Registered
79 300SEL
42 Posts
even if you wanted the re-design no wise to buy first year in 2014.
realistically you would be buying in 2015 when all the software clitches and what not are sorted out. this is what i plan, since I really like the C-class, my current one (just brought home last night :)) is a used one, lightly used with 30,000 km's but used so far cheaper then new. this way I can get used to the car and entry-level my way into a beautiful Mercedes, then in 2015 go for brand new!

·
Registered
1994 sold/new White 2014 c250 sport/night eition
177 Posts
That means if I buy the C class I will have it for about 1.8 years with it before they release the 2015 models.
Basically, I will have it as the current model for less than 2 years and for about 4-5 years as the "old" model.

Why not just lease the car for two years, then make a purchase when the newer model comes out? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot...

This is about the only place on the net where some one replied to me with reasonable answers.

The point of not buying a car in its first production years is a very good advice, but after 10 years of owning the same car you can hardly make sense any more. I am moving from a Land Cruiser to a mid-sized sedan.

The leasing idea is smart, but don't I rather keep that as loan installments instead of paying it as rent?

@serialize

How much did your 30,000 km c class cost you? Just wondering about second hand market...

·
Registered
2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
327 Posts
Thanks a lot...

This is about the only place on the net where some one replied to me with reasonable answers.

The point of not buying a car in its first production years is a very good advice, but after 10 years of owning the same car you can hardly make sense any more. I am moving from a Land Cruiser to a mid-sized sedan.

The leasing idea is smart, but don't I rather keep that as loan installments instead of paying it as rent?

@serialize

How much did your 30,000 km c class cost you? Just wondering about second hand market...
Keep in mind that a lease is just a high priced rental and at the end you have nothing.

·
Registered
79 300SEL
42 Posts
Auto's in Canada are VERY expensive. 20% or more then what they go for in the USA (new or used), so not sure how valuable my comparisson would be.
Also I have a friend who works at MB and helped out with the sale (allot :)).

2009 C230 4Matic Sport+Premuim packages $30K all in on the road. (what I bought).

2012 C250 Demo (8000km's) he could have got for me $44K on the road with same options.

2012 C250 new one (zero km's) pushing closer to $50K with same options

Also keep in mind we pay 13% tax on everything here and that makes a huge difference also.

I decided finance is still better for me also, I could sell my car when upgrade to the brand new benz I'll be getting in 2015, or i could give this to the wife, I think just more overall options then with lease but it's personal preference.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
I wonder what you'd call them in Australia then????!! I just paid $59,000 for a C200CDI and saved $20,000 off list price because it was a demonstrator with nominal kms on it. (Being an island and cars have to be shipped here, we've always been ripped off.)

(And our $'s around US$1.06!)

:-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep in mind that a lease is just a high priced rental and at the end you have nothing.
Not the correct way of looking at it IMO.

If you were to buy a new C300 right now, you'd have a higher payment than if you lease it, and if you're looking at selling that C300 in 2 years, you'd be hoping to break even, whereas with the lease you're guaranteed to be even. So, lower payment + guaranteed to break even at the end of the lease (just turn it in, owe nothing). Seems like a good deal to me.

Now, if you keep a car 5 - 7 years, yes buying is the right option. If you keep the car 2 - 4 years, leasing is usually your better option because most likely you'll "have nothing" anyway since you won't catch up with loan payments to the depreciated value. So why have nothing, yet have paid a higher monthly payment vs. leasing.

IMO, leasing is not a high price rental. It's either right for you, or it isn't. If its right for you, its a better financial decision than buying. If it's no, then buying is the way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wonder what you'd call them in Australia then????!! I just paid $59,000 for a C200CDI and saved $20,000 off list price because it was a demonstrator with nominal kms on it. (Being an island and cars have to be shipped here, we've always been ripped off.)
At the origin of MB, Germany must be the most expensive, my C250 has a MSRP of $63,600 at the current exchange rate and I got it for $55000. :eek: That's why there are re-imports, some (very few) people even import their cars from the US because they're MUCH cheaper.

The new C class will start manufacture next year, the new production lines are being built right now over here in Bremen.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
That's why there are re-imports, some (very few) people even import their cars from the US because they're MUCH cheaper.
Wow! That's crazy! I guess it indicates that the price is basically set at what the market can stand rather than a cost/profit basis. Despite the C-class price here, it was still the 2nd most popular medium-size car sold, beaten only by the Camry which is manufactured here, is half the price and is a popular fleet purchase car.

·
Registered
2012 MB C250
3 Posts
I want to purchase a mid-sized luxury sedan .

I wanted to buy the c class, but from what I hear is that this model is in the end of its lifetime. I believe it was released in 2007->2011 thats 5 years , the guy at the dealership said they made a face lift for another 3 years. 2012 is almost over (or it will be by the time my car gets here, 4 months for it to arrive after order) .

That means if I buy the C class I will have it for about 1.8 years with it before they release the 2015 models. I plan to keep my car for at least 5 years and up to 7 years.

For this sole reason I am looking into the a5 which is a newer release and will last longer on the market.

btw. What is the difference between the luxury and Sports sedan models? Just horsepower or does the driving experience gets stiff?
I just bought a new 2012 C250 (base model-$45500 USD out the door)-very happy so far-with the 7 speed trans it seems to perform adequately. The option packages were too steep for me,so I bought what I could afford! where I live there is a very windy road that goes about 4 miles with all sorts of elevation changes,serious corners and just about every situation you could encounter in a road test-including a beautiful stretch that runs along puget sound-awesome scenery on a warm,late summer day. I love this car!

·
Registered
'02 325Cic, '03 325Ci, '08 C300
45 Posts
In my experience, at least with Mercedes and BMW, it would be wise to avoid the first couple years if you can help yourself.

Take our W204 for example. I had 2 rear shock absorbers, 2 thrust arm bushings and a steering angle sensor replaced during warranty. Not bad for a January 2008 build, but Startekinfo EPC indicates all the above parts were revised in later builds, some more than once. Maybe I could have avoided some of the warranty work had I waited and bought one of the "revised" cars but oh well, lesson learned.

Aside from avoiding a lemon, waiting for a later build also brings added goodies. I would have loved to get in on the M276 and the 7G-Tronic Plus, or memory seats for that matter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with those recommending a pass on newly released M-B models. I've owned new: 92 W201, 98 W202, 04 W203, and just ordered a 13 W204. All have been later models after the initial de-bugging years, very dependable, and nearly problem-free -- especially my current W203 4Matic wagon.

The interesting point is that with each advancing model from W201 to W203 the problems became fewer and less severe. For example, in 9 years my current W203 required only two minor repairs each costing less than $100. I'm confident that my 2013 C300 Sport (arriving in October) will continue the string of increasingly better built cars with the solid feel that no other car in its class can duplicate, including BMW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those that don't have money to burn , buy a new Camry,get a Toyota factory extended 3 year warranty for under a grand,for 6 years of problem free driving and save yourself over $20K not to mention the money you will save on the Benz maintenance costs over the years.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
...and save yourself over $20K not to mention the money you will save on the Benz maintenance costs over the years.
True, but can you put a monetary value on driving pleasure? My 2008 Mitsubishi came with a 5 year warranty and has been faultless, but it doesn't come anywhere near my 2011 W204 CDI in any respects. (About the only thing they have in common is 4 wheels and a diesel engine :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts