Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I overfilled the engine oil by about 1.5 litters when I DIY oil change on my 2013 e350 Bluetec. Not realizing the overfill, I started the car tilted with its head up on a 8" stand (when I drained the engine oil), it did start and ran. So I drove it a bit (about 1 mile), felt the car was not running smoothly. I stopped, checked if anything wrong: I found that the underbody oil pan was dripping significantly. I waited a while (like 10-15 min), seems it did not drip (or at least dripping slowed down), I tried to restart the car, NOW the car WOULD NOT start, only cranked. I waited another 30 min, same thing.

Looking online, it was said that I can spill some oil out to get the normal engine oil level, I did just that, but not working. Still just cranking no starting.

Any idea/suggestions what to do?

Greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
20,672 Posts
I overfilled the engine oil by about 1.5 litters when I DIY oil change on my 2013 e350 Bluetec. Not realizing the overfill, I started the car tilted with its head up on a 8" stand (when I drained the engine oil), it did start and ran. So I drove it a bit (about 1 mile), felt the car was not running smoothly. I stopped, checked if anything wrong: I found that the underbody oil pan was dripping significantly. I waited a while (like 10-15 min), seems it did not drip (or at least dripping slowed down), I tried to restart the car, NOW the car WOULD NOT start, only cranked. I waited another 30 min, same thing.

Looking online, it was said that I can spill some oil out to get the normal engine oil level, I did just that, but not working. Still just cranking no starting.

Greatly appreciated!
Eesh, sorry to hear. No idea what's happened there though.

Here's help on filling out your profile if you wouldn't mind - Complete your Profile

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
7,306 Posts
Garage job now .Oil will be in the auto gearbox converter, So this will need flushing .Might have blown seals inside the engine .Oil may have come up to the cylinders to the spark plugs. first off i would pull all the spark plug out and check . .You need to be on the flat to drain off all the oil , and let it sit for a day or more to fully drain ..Friend did this on his Ford and it cost him a new engine and clutch his box was manual. Hope you have a simple fix . But i would say its going to cost you a lot of money to fix this now. Please let us know how you get on .

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
5,595 Posts
There should be codes stored related to the failure to start. Not sure how that could be connected to the overfill, though.

Wash off the bottom of the engine so you can figure out where the oil is coming from.

How did you overfill it? When doing your own oil change, it's best to add about 1/2 to 1 quart less than the total capacity, then run the engine for a minute or two, then check the quantity on a level surface, and top it off.

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
5,042 Posts
Garage job now .Oil will be in the auto gearbox converter, So this will need flushing .Might have blown seals inside the engine .Oil may have come up to the cylinders to the spark plugs. first off i would pull all the spark plug out and check . .You need to be on the flat to drain off all the oil , and let it sit for a day or more to fully drain ..Friend did this on his Ford and it cost him a new engine and clutch his box was manual. Hope you have a simple fix . But i would say its going to cost you a lot of money to fix this now. Please let us know how you get on .
It's a Bluetec.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
7,306 Posts
So it is a diesel . Well if its diesel or petrol it will be catastrophic .A garage will need to inspect the engine now . If oil was forced through the oil ways under opressure then all the seals would have given way ..I dont think we can do anything for jxresearch i really wish i could .

·
Registered
2000 sl320
567 Posts
Could of even bent the con rods which will reduce compression, to be honest you are lucky you didn't blow the oil pan off, now its cold it probably won't restart. Garage job for a full inspection and compression test. Good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,595 Posts
Could of even bent the con rods
OK, let's take a step back...

I once worked on a car that had 10 quarts of oil in a 5 quart sump and had been driven 1500 miles like that. The car had a dip stick on the manual transmission. All the way from FLA to MA the owner checked the trans and added a quart to the engine at each fuel stop. It was leaking from every seal and gasket exposed to engine oil, but there was no other damage to the engine.

I'm not saying that this case will pan out the same, but one step at a time... Let's first figure out why it won't start, and go from there.

·
Registered
2000 sl320
567 Posts
Its diesel, relies on compression, bent rods, blown oil seals = not enough compression.
Fired up and run, got hot so ran ok ish till he stopped then it cooled down for a while and now won't start.
Its toast, or as we say over here, U,S.

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
20,672 Posts
The garage waaay overfilled my 420se once. I had to take it back so they could vacuum some out. They must've given it to the trainee or something. I do my own changes normally lesson learnt.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
8,464 Posts
I found that the underbody oil pan was dripping significantly.
Did you perhaps hear any noise like a gunshot or something similar? You may have windowed the block, but then again overfilling by 1.5 liters isn't enough to do that. Your engine was on borrowed time.

Otherwise tow it to a shop or start cleaning and see if you have a hole in the block. Or read codes and see what is the reason for no start.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
7,306 Posts
No one changes my oil only me . But once i was pushed for time .I worked over the way to a reputable garage . So i thought they can change my oil while i am at work .Then later that night after work went in to pay for the work he had done .Drove to my home parked the estate up . Next day i go out to the car just to check his work .. And then i find there is to much oil in the engine by 1/4" over the full mark . So now i need to suck the extra oil out with a syringe, and a tube After i had finished i went to close the hood and i noticed the under tray was missing. On my way to work next day i went in to the garage . I saw the tray against the wall outside ...Told the guy about the oil and the under tray ,,he said there never was one in the first place ...i pointed to my tray leaning against the wall . Said he did not do the job, it was the owner that did it .Had a few words with the owner , and i told him you will get no more work from me and i wont recommend you to others . .

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,595 Posts
O.P. - take a deep breath. Get the codes read. Find out why it won't start. 1.5 liters overfilled shouldn't bend any connecting rods or put holes in the engine block.

·
Registered
91 420SEL, 72 350SL, 99 S600, 05 Ford F-350, 09 C300, 10 Boxster 987, 12 GL450 , 87 560SEL ,05 SL60
559 Posts

Greatly appreciated!
The good advice you have gotten is "check the codes" - after reducing oil level to normal. Buy the Foxwell Mercedes scanner (cheap generic readers don't play well with Mercedes) and run the scan. My guess is that the computer detected something it did not like and shut the engine down as a precautionary step. Clear the codes and try to start again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
O.P. - take a deep breath. Get the codes read. Find out why it won't start. 1.5 liters overfilled shouldn't bend any connecting rods or put holes in the engine block.
I agree, overfill didn't bend any rods. I once had the GM Duramax injector issue filling a 10 qt crankcase with 24 qts, Oil/diesel coming out of the breather line. Just drained everything out, changed the injectors and no problems.
I think you have another problem other than overfill for your motor not starting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts