Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML 320, 1999 c280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I locked my only friggin set of keys to my 1999 c280 in the trunk. The alarm was set and I went in the trunk with the remote and left my keys in it and then shut it. Any Ideas? Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
I take it you also locked all the doors and thus can't get inside the cabin, right?

Maybe the best investment, if you can do without your car for a few days, would be to go to the dealer and order a new key. That would give you a spare. Depending on where you live, it may be about the same price as a decent locksmith. Just take your ID and copy of the registration for your car. They have to order it in for you. I believe the reprogramming can all be done without access to your car but double-check with the stealership to be sure. Call around for prices if you have multiple dealers that are all relatively close. Prices for keys can vary quite a bit from stealership to stealership.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
You might also call 1 800 For Mercedes and see if they can send a roadside assistance guy out for you who has some way to get into the car.

The stealership may be able to order a key for you over the phone if you can give them your VIN and then just make you bring all the paperwork once when you go to pick up the key. It is at least worth asking about it.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320, 1999 c280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, I am going to call them today and order a key. MB roadside wanted 170.00 to come out and hook up some computer and pop the trunk. God what a rip off, for that much I may as well get another key. I can get in the car b/c I called AAA and they came and slim jimmed me into the actual car. but the trunk release doesnt work when the alarm is set. I was hoping that there was some way to kill the battery from under the hood. I read that if the battery dies you can hook a 12 volt to the trunk fuse and it will give it enough power to open. I was trying not to pay MB 200$ for a new key, but looks like I may not have an option.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Mercedes Kompressor, 2004 Honda Civic, 1980 L48 Corvette
314 Posts
3 Options

1. Shut the Trunk on a Disconnect Battery - Mercedes Benz Guide and Repair Wiki

2. Call AAA if they can't get them out they pay for the key (not the fob just the key) I did this once.

3. Just order and pay for a key you can't rip out the seats or anything like that but if your willing to cut a big hole behind your seat you might try that. You might if you know where the keys are use a coat hanger to get them.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
>> but the trunk release doesnt work when the alarm is set.<<

That is good to know. I hadn't thought about that!

>>I read that if the battery dies you can hook a 12 volt to the trunk fuse and it will give it enough power to open. <<

That is true that you can get power to the circuit but I think you would still have to have a key to activate the locks.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Mercedes Kompressor, 2004 Honda Civic, 1980 L48 Corvette
314 Posts
Not sure just theory but I wonder if you disconnect the Positive terminal and negative terminals under the hood by the Washer Fluid. Then Connect the battery like in option A if this would bypass the locks? I never tried this way but perhaps it might work. (just an idea) I don't want you to fry everything if i'm wrong though.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320, 1999 c280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get my keys out of the trunk by pulling up the first aid kit and using a wire hanger to fish them out! thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
>>by pulling up the first aid kit and using a wire hanger to fish them out!<<

Way to go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts