Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the car back and its smoking like crazy.... burning smell until i relised this hole out the back of the rocker cover is squirting oil! this in turn is making its way down to the hot transmission and smoking bad......

see pic... what is this for a bypass for excessive crankcase pressure? i checked my oil levels before and some DUMB F&*C*W& tech topped it up. it was over the MAX mark. ill will drain some oil to 3/4 once it settles to see if it happens again....

any other things to check? PVC system?

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just some more info.....

- no codes
- no warning lights on dash (ie oil press)
- car drives perfectly

lucky i noticed this in time otherwise god knows what would have happed...

i guess 2morow ill get a syringe in there and "suck out" what oil is left in this hole and see how we go.... argh u cant F(&D*( trust some ppl with your car!!

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Subby, I have seen a post on this before but can't for the life of me remember what it was for - only that it was not a big deal - that's gonna help !!!

Will post link if I can find it
-----------------------------------------------------------------
edit -- here you go - Bazzle knows all about it!! (2006)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzle
Rear drain hole at back of rocker cover, rear bolt inside comes loose and oil runs down over head and block.

Bazzle.......any idea what this drain hole is supposed to drain

Rear bolt inside?.........

Just interested...... haven't got a leak

Having owned an MGA and TR6 I know what Berk means.......a few drips was standard......but always good to know where it's coming from.......a piece of cardboard or paper under the car overnight (or longer) and lining up the puddle will hopefully confirm the drain plug as the cause

Having looked at the head gasket repair thread I would take the watch and wait approach..........looks like you are going to do an oil change the good old fashioned way.....good opportunity to see if more oil comes out through suction or drainge

Has there been a significant drop in the oil level on the dipstick?

Bruce

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a million :D found it....... opened up the red cover and look what i found..... a 10mm bolt VERY LOOSE!!!

see pics.... tightend it all up and gave the area a clean... glad it wasnt serious!

cheers

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its one of the bolts used to hold down the rocker cover.... for some reason that one in there was really loose allowing oil to come out of it.

i checked the other bolts around the rocker cover and some were loose too.. tightend them all.

i know with some cars over time these bolts can come loose... didnt expect one of em to nearly come out though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts