Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I purchased a 99 Ml320 last week, with 86k miles; I’m planning to do all the maintenance myself, as far as I can tell no service was done to it for a long time. Coolant cap has a tag says checked on 10/1999, and motor oil looks terrible.
I wanted to change the oil this weekend to start with, but I could not take the OIL FILTER CAP off,[:(!] no matter how hard I tried, is there a special tool or release button or something, I can not seem to figure out a way to take the filter off. I would appreciate if some one can help me.

One other thing what type fluids I can use for transmission, transfer case, differential, coolant, brake fluid, etc? Do I have to use Mercedes brand fluids in it?

Thank you, this is an awesome forum

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
There is no button to release it ... if it hasnt been opened in a while it probably is slightly seized up. The only thing you can really do is use more muscle to unscrew it or get a oil filter removal tool and use that to try and remove the oil filter cover.

And yes I dont suggest you use anything but mercedes reccomended fluids on the tranny, transfer case and diffs.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ....I used oil filter removal tool had no luck, tool start to skip treads so I stoped, darn thing is seized up reall bad.

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
sometimes plastic parts come off easier when they are hot. fwiw. i use a generic oil filter wrench that is an adjustable steel band. it fits lots of things. to keep from tearing up the plastique, i put an oil rag over the filter top first, then slip the rag around it. you may get more plastic to grip if you pop the top plastic engine cover off first. some (lots) people think you can use generic atf for the transfer case, and b-flat gear oil for the diffs. most people agree you need the mercede atf for the tranny and mercedes power streering fluid. some people think zerex G-05 is the same and mercedes anti-freeze. a few people (me) like to dump a can of berrymans in the crankcase and idle the thing for 30 mins just before an oil change to attempt to de-gunk the thing. nearly everybody uses mobil 1 0-w-40 in the crankcase, 8 1/2 qts exactly. it gets easier every time you do it. lots of posts on oil changes. good luck

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
My filter cover was seized up on my 99 ML430. It seemed hopeless since all I had was a steel band oil wrench. I finally went to Sears and bought a rubber belt oil filter wrench. This worked like a charm! It slipped a little on the first couple of tries but I finally got it off.

You would not believe the sludge in the filter! I weighed it at work and it was 6 oz. and that was what I could get out of the filter. There is no way the previous owner could have changed that filter.

I suspect the reason why your filter cover is seized up is for the same reason..... NOBODY CHANGED THE FILTER![:(!] Don't you just hate it when people forsake even the simplest of maintainence items just to save a couple of bucks?[V]

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try it tonight see if I any luck with it. Yeah like you said it looks like nobody ever changed the filter [:(!], and service records shows that all the service and maintenance was done in Arlington, TX Mercedes dealer but I really doubt it, probably they just suck the oil out and refilled it with out ever changing the filter.

·
Registered
ML500, 2005
412 Posts
Make sure you get the latest filter, MB has released a TSB to use only the new type filter Part #A000 180 26 09
jd

·
Registered
54 Posts
If mine become stuck as it sometimes does i use a Screw driver to pierce the filter and then use that to turn the filter!!! No need for expensive tools, watch the threads!!!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
If mine become stuck as it sometimes does i use a Screw driver to pierce the filter and then use that to turn the filter!!! No need for expensive tools, watch the threads!!!
Mercedes uses a cartridge insert filter instead of the canister-style filters (i.e. Fram, A/C Delco, etc.) used by most Japanese and American makes. There is a cover that unscrews to reveal the filter. Just like an oil filler cap, this cover is not replaced with the filter. While piercing it would be a solution, it would mean a trip to the dealer to buy a new cap, which might cost more than a simple strap wrench.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got the filter off, I purchased a Mercedes oil filter wrench from ebay worked perfect, so much sludge came out of the filter, I could not believe my eyes [:0]. But least I got it off, I’m planning to flush and change the oil again soon, because oil turned dark right away I assume that there is lot of sludge deposits. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
I had alot of sludge in mine too...from what I can tell, the previous owner used conventional oil and ran the miles up like it was synthetic...idiot. I used AMS Engine flush: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

I changed my oil twice within 6000 miles, both times flushing first, then draining the oil. Now going on 5000 miles and the oil still looks almost new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts