Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please someone tell me what is wrong with my 1982 380sl. It starts up fine in fact it just pops and starts immediately. However, if I try to depress the accelerator even just a little after starting, it will die and if I try to give it any gas at all it will die. I can "idle" along on level ground when it is cold at start up and it will move but very slowly. It is almost as if depressing the accelerator kills the engine, no RPMs can be generated at all, like depressing the accelerator "shuts off the gas" it seems. It will idle OK, but idles rough, so if I let it warm up to complete operating temperature, then it will run and drive somewhat acceptable. I can drive it on level streets but even at operating temp, if I try to go up a hill it will not give me the power that you should have. It is almost as if any additional load put on the car, like going up a hill, restricts the acceleration and RPMs that are generated. What is wrong with this thing. Here is some important background. The car was stored and not started for three years. When I got it ready to start again, I drained the gas tank and put in new fuel. I had to replace the fuel filter and I put on a different fuel pump (the old one was gone). I got a fuel pump off a 1979 450SL and I think this was a little different than the ones used on the 1982 380SL that I have. I don't know if this is the problem the only thing that I could think of is that the PSI is different on the those older fuel pumps. I have heard that it could be a Warm up Regulator but wouldn't the car run OK up hills once it gets to Operating temperture even with a bad WUR? Please help, I'm lost and don't know where to look.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
I can't speak to the pump because I cannot access the EPC with a Mac. If you are on a PC, it is free (just need a credit card to verify you are American) and there is a link in the EGv107 sticky. the EPC is Mercedes parts listing. You will be able to check to see what your car needs as well as the 450SL pump. If they do not match, you need to start over with a different pump.

Next, draining the gas from the tank still left fuel in the lines. They are probably quite gunked up. Most of us on here like Techron, run some very high strength Techron through it. Also, check your cap, rotor and spark plugs. Be very careful when removing and replacing the plugs. It's easy to mis thread them.

I hope you did something to get lube in the upper cylinders before you fired it up. After three years, there would have been no oil left in the cylinders--it would all have been in the pan by then. You should never just start up an engine that has sat that long.

Lastly, fill out your personal info. It is rule around here and if you want more help, you need to do so.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,338 Posts
Fuel Pumps are the same. Why use a used pump? Fuel distributor is most likely fouled. Need to check fuel pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts